Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
bought SALVAGE TITLE...'07 ZX-6R for $5k...UPDATE!!!!

only had 387 miles and had front end damage...everything was replaced w/ OEM parts and runs great...and no frame damage at all...was this a great buy? how many mpg (riding it average) should i expect from it?

UPDATE...my title came in the other day and its a CLEAN TITLE!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
What did you pay for it. As long as your happy with it, and you didn't pay more than a used one with the same mileage then yes, good buy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i payed $5,000 for it...and it rides AWESOME...picked it up to 120 just to see if it was perfectly aligned and i had no problems...feels, looks, rides just like new...only thing is im sure it aint broken in yet...so time will tell on that one...overall im just worried about the long run...is it more at risk for having any failures?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Nope, most likely not. My '05 is a salvage title bike, I bought it with 258 miles on it. Never had any problems and you couldn't tell looking at it it was a salvage bike. Over 23,000 miles now.

Don't worry about the break in any longer. Without knowing how the bike was ridden previously, you might as well ride it like a bike that has already got some miles on it. Just change the oil and filter if you haven't yet but otherwise ride it like its broken in. I did that with mine, changed oil and filter around 300 and then double that mileage each time - 300, 600, 1200 & 2400 (doesn't have to be exact mileage, just guidelines). Used regular Mobil 5000 dino oil up to 2400. At the 2400 change I went to full synth Mobil1 oil and filter and went to every 3000 mile intervals since.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
What mpg? I dont get it..Its a supersport bike, not a prius. And sounds like a great deal, nice looking bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
for 3K more you could have bought you a brand new 07. u got raped... u got to remember the insurance to paid for the damage, someone bought it back from the insurance company and fixed it and sold it to you. seems like the bike got sold twice the amount or actual value. the bike will never be the same... you will be lucky if that bike will not have the ticking, cam and gaskets issue. if it does then u wish that u never bought that bike. front end damage and they salvage the bike,,,, hmmm

·
Registered
427 Posts
do you know what the bike looked like before the repair-what kind of front end damage?-things you might want to look at is make sure your head-set for your 3ple tree is tight(if it cant hold tight-there might be frame damage), check your headers and radiator for damage. Welcome to the family other wise=)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
for 3K more you could have bought you a brand new 07. u got raped... u got to remember the insurance to paid for the damage, someone bought it back from the insurance company and fixed it and sold it to you. seems like the bike got sold twice the amount or actual value. the bike will never be the same... you will be lucky if that bike will not have the ticking, cam and gaskets issue. if it does then u wish that u never bought that bike. front end damage and they salvage the bike,,,, hmmm
You really have no clue what you are talking about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I say take it to a kawi service department... and have them do a thorough look over.... Just to make sure everything appears to be properly repaired... just to be on the safe side....

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
LOL some people are not smart buyer. 5K for a salvage no thanks someone is laughing all the way to the bank.
Another vote for "you have no clue what you are talking about."

It's very easy for insurance to total and salvage title a bike. They will add parts and prices up quick. You can be sure alot of bikes with clean titles out there that people crashed and fixed themselves very well could have easily been totalled and salvage titled had insurance got their hands on it instead.

It's not like we're talking about a car or something that's worth $20,000-30,000(or more) that would take a death defying wreck for insurance to write it off...

Just because it's salvage titled doesn't mean it's crap. It does mean you should be more attentive when looking over a possible purchase though...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought clean and salvage bikes to bring them to mexico, I have bought "clean" bikes that looks like new but when I go to inspect them as close as possible I have found problems like abused chains, low cam-chain life, radiators changed, tripple clamp bearing wear, etc....
Usually the salvage bikes are in very good conditions, you only need to remplace some parts like some fairings, or head light, or levers, and that´s it, at end you pay a 30 or 40% less than a Clean title.
Anyway you have to put attention on what salvage motorcycle you are going to buy, you dont want to buy a salvage motorcycle that went under a truck, dont you?? but you can look for a bike that had a lowside and that it doesnt hit anything and things like that, sooooo ENJOY YOUR MOTORCYCLE THAT YOU BOUGHT, IT IS IN EXCELLENT PRICE AND OF YOU DONT WANT IT.... SELL IT TO ME!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would say you got an ok deal. It looks pretty clean from the one picture. It doesn't take much to total out a bike. But i think the insurance is sometimes more expensive on them. There are certainly bikes out there with clean titles that were probly wrecked worse than that one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
3500 or 4000 seems reasonable for a salvaged bike. 5000 isnt getting ripped off to bad but as long as you like your bike its all good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would say its an OK deal. Not a super deal and not ripped off. Its just OK.

Just being honest here.

ILYA

I agree with that. I got my 07 with 3k miles in perfect condition for $6400. I would say $4000-$4500 is what I would have looked to pay for a bike like yours. No biggie though, eventually you will get a new bike and you can turn that one into a track bike. If you end up keeping it and it doesn't have problems then the $5k was not a bad deal. If you are planning on selling it, well you might take a few thousand in losses on it, but hell so does everyone who bought one brand new.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would so you got a good to deal to an ok deal depending on the damage and the amount of repair the guy had to do to it..
Speaking from a stand point of Craching and rebuilding mine..
I bought it back and replaced the damaged stuff..
I spent around 3000K to get it all said and done, the are alot of hoops to jump through
(in CA) to get a salvaged bike on the road again, brake and light, chp inspection(with reciepts for parts ou replaced) Vin verification and some minor shit.
and if I would have replaced it with all brand new OEM parts... it would have been alot more.. I dont have pem plastics, i got fiberglass..I bought parts off of Ebay, and some new.. Plastics alone are 1200 depending on what all was needed..
but of course I bought Vortex rearsets, clipons, and levers, for not much more than OEM stuff too..

Just do a thorough Inspection,look at the triples, frame, the oil pan, look in the air box.
chain, spockets, make sure theres no brake fade....

otherwise enjoy and be happy with your bike..
oh and i average 45 MPG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts