Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to ride a little cruiser which I sold but my buddy has been trying to get me to pick up a bike to ride with his r6. I am a moderately handy car guy and saw this very good deal online. Guy says he has the wrong sized clutch cable on it so it never disengages the clutch. I figured that was an easy fix.

Showed up last night and I gave it a quick test of maybe 200 feet. Everything feels fine up in 1st, but when I go to shift to second, I can't get it to engage. Tried 3rd going down a hill, still felt like it was in nuetral. I ordered a new shift cable in to start at the easiest fix to try, but I also consider maybe the clutch or transmission? Hopefully not the dreaded rounded dogs.

When I get home from work today, I can try anything or check anything that anyone suggest. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've seen weird stuff with shift linkages not adjusted properly/ set too far forward or back. Try there first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the seller pretty much flipped a bike with a shot trans as needing a clutch cable. Going to have to replace or repair the trans. Any advice?

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can drop the oil pan to inspect the Trans but I suspect it's shot and needs some new parts, Most likely you have at least 1 bent selector fork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I bought a used trans on eBay and am getting it shipped to M/T Performance to undercut 2nd and inspect the whole transmission. I'm going to attempt to drop the engine, check valve clearance while I have it out, crack the lower open, replace the trans, and reassemble. Honestly a little daunted by the amount of work and considering bringing the bike and rebuilt trans to a shop and have them install it. That being said I would prefer to do it myself for the knowledge, savings, and pride of doing it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts