Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just wondering what type of brake fluid you use (Dot 3,4)and what the difference between them is? also what brand do you guys recommend. ive seen people using a blue brake fluid anyone know who makes that? On another note ^_^ what oil filters do you guys use? ive been using the manufactuer kawi filters and i got charged $16!!!and the first time the idiot gave me the wrong one. (guess i was the real idiot for not checking it) and reason i only use the kawi filter is beacause i dont know anyone who sells motocycle filters besides the dealer.

·
Banned
495 Posts
I am currently using the kawi oil filter.. An oil filter is an oil filter not much u can do with it. Just do not use a FRAM, they are the worst ones ever, They can actually explode on u at any time. The parts on the inside at 99% cardboard, other oil filters, metal is used for durability. As for brake fluid use heavy duty ONLY Dot 4. It can stand up to the heat better than Dot 3.

hope i helped ya.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Agreed on the DOT4 brake fluid. I used it on my YZF and will be when the time comes on the ZX. Oil filter, I use a Mobil1 M-110 filter. Little bit longer than the stock filter, like 3/4 of an inch to a full inch longer. Runs about $10 at most auto parts stores around here.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I also used the PureOne filter - I read on here (somewhere, while searching for opinions on filters) that the PL14610 was too long for the 05/06, but it isn't. So get the PL14610 or PL14612, whichever you want. I went with the longer one because I figure more filtering area can't hurt. The longer one may be too long to install if you don't remove the lower fairing, I'm not sure - you have to flex a radiator hose out of the way to get it started, that may not have anywhere to move if the plastic is in the way. That's just a guess on why people would say it didn't fit.

For brake fluid I just grabbed a bottle of the Kawi stuff when I was at the dealer last time - it's so rare that you'll need any, that $3 will last until you change it (if you ever bother to,) so I figured I might as well use the stuff that is already in it when topping off.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I use the Purolator ML16817 if I recall from Pepboys which cost around $6. For the front brakes I bled them and refilled them with some sort of DOT 5 Synthetic fluid that was purple. I didnt notice any difference in my front brakes either way but I figured I best flush them soon or later.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You got it.

·
Powerhungry
37,956 Posts
for a filter i use a 2005 mitzu lancer with the 2.0 sohc engine. its longer and allows me to run the full gallon. it may cooincide with some of the part # posted. its about $6 my cost, like $12 retail.
and dot 4 is slightly thicker and withstands heat better.
i finally changed mine at about 10k. at the time it looked good in the res. but it came out very black. i advise to change it often. i will be doing mine around every 5k now. the last thing i want is brake problems...when i need them most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.