Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WRAPPED MY BIKE OUT TO THE TOP OF 6TH GEAR AND HAD TO COME TO AN ABRUBT STOP, AS I APPLIED THE BRAKES HARD, WHEN THE LEVER WAS PULLED TO THE GRIP, IT THEN IMMEDIATLY EXPANDED AWAY FROM THE GRIP AND HAD ALMOST NO PLAY IN IT WHEN TOGGLING THE BRAKE LEVER BACK AND FOURTH. THEN ABOUT A SECOND LATER THERE WAS NORMAL BRAKE OPPERATION. IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT HAS EXPERIANCED THIS?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes...happenes when you use the brake alot. Fluid gets really hot which causes the brake line to flex under pressure. Try buying steel braided brake lines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
steel braided lines will help....also switch to Motul RBF 600 brake fluid. it has the highest dry boiling point of the brake fluids available.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Finally someone else acknowledging the brake fade issue. This will not be solved merely by changing lines. Fade is from overheating the fluid. The lines will expand yes, but simply changing them just provides more feel, very little extra pad pressure. the fluid change will help some also. For me, they still fade even after installing new EBC HH pads. I hear good things about the Ferodo pads also. I also removed the dust shields from the calipers to let some heat escape as well. I think the best solution for this may be to purchase a Brembo radial master cylinder though. The piston diameter in teh Kawi's is the wrong size imo. The same Nissan master cylinder on the same calipers on the same forks with different (non wave,larger diameter) rotors on the GSXR's 1000's is SPOT ON! A huge improvement. Instant brakes from the slighest movement even with rubber lines. I am going to get one of those for my ZX-10 as I can still use the Pazzo lever on it. Brembo does not allow for using CRG or Pazzo levers unfortunatley.
Best of luck

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,978 Posts
Originally posted by duckman999
Finally someone else acknowledging the brake fade issue. This will not be solved merely by changing lines. Fade is from overheating the fluid. The lines will expand yes, but simply changing them just provides more feel, very little extra pad pressure. the fluid change will help some also. For me, they still fade even after installing new EBC HH pads. I hear good things about the Ferodo pads also. I also removed the dust shields from the calipers to let some heat escape as well. I think the best solution for this may be to purchase a Brembo radial master cylinder though. The piston diameter in teh Kawi's is the wrong size imo. The same Nissan master cylinder on the same calipers on the same forks with different (non wave,larger diameter) rotors on the GSXR's 1000's is SPOT ON! A huge improvement. Instant brakes from the slighest movement even with rubber lines. I am going to get one of those for my ZX-10 as I can still use the Pazzo lever on it. Brembo does not allow for using CRG or Pazzo levers unfortunatley.
Best of luck
+1 on that. I put the braided lines on my 636 with EBC HH pads and they help but they are still not as good as my buddy's '06 gixxer 1k. I've been told by many knowledgeable people the Kawi master cylinder is junk. I'm going Brembo when I can afford it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.