Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do the braided brake line replacement. My local auto parts store didn't have DOT 4 fluid, only 3 and some Valvoline, a synthetic which "exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4".

1. Any reason to buy motorcycle specific fluid?
2. Any reason to get DOT 4, instead of something which exceeds it?
3. What's the difference between synthetic and non-synthetic brake fluid (seems like it all is synthetic to me)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
The synthetic brake fluids withstand higher temperatures. I swapped my fluid out for the Valvoline synthetic when I changed my lines and I'm really happy with it. I don't get brake fade nearly as quickly as I did with the stock fluid.

·
Powerhungry
38,423 Posts
you will notice more of a difference in simply changing the lines. but theres no reason not to upgrade the fluid too. since you will be draining the system. so go for the synth, but remember once u go synth u cant go back..well u can, but u cant mix them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
but remember once u go synth u cant go back..well u can, but u cant mix them.
You just have to flush the system completely with alcohol...if you went back and forth ten times or not, it doesnt matter as long as you flush it clean

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
you will notice more of a difference in simply changing the lines. but theres no reason not to upgrade the fluid too. since you will be draining the system. so go for the synth, but remember once u go synth u cant go back..well u can, but u cant mix them.
why cant you mix them?

·
Powerhungry
38,423 Posts
good question. thats just what ive heard, that they wont mix. one being synth and the other being, reg.
reg brake fluid is hydroscopic.(i think thats right) it will actually pull moisture out of the air, each and everytime its exposed. i believe that the synth stuff, wont do this.
and its probabaly just not a good idea to mix them. ur brakes is one thing u dont want to take any chances with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.