Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to test the brake light with actually starting the engine? I'm trying to mod my brake and tail light, but when I turn the ignition on, the brake light is not coming on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't mean to sound stupid but I'm new to bikes... are all bikes like this or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
35 Posts
the lights should work anytime the key is 'on'... except the headlight, which only comes on after the engine starts...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The taillight comes on, but not the brake light. Or maybe it's the brake light that comes on until the engine starts, then it dims down to the taillight?

When I turn the key to "on", it lights up, but nothing happens when I press either of the brakes...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Then something is wrong? It should work with it on. Maybe bump the starter just for grins?
Is there a reason you don't want to start the bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a reason you don't want to start the bike?
Cause it's inside my apartment and at the time it was like almost midnight lol

I figured I was just doing an electrical mod, so I decided to just do it inside, and the I got the tail apart and realized it.

I just wired everything up and put it back together, so I'm hoping it works. It's raining now though so I'll take it outside after it stops or tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay well, I'm not sure if maybe the guy I bought the bike from changed wiring or something, but on mine, the brake lights come on with the ignition on, until it is running. Once it's running, the brake lights go off and taillights stay on. Problem solved. I'll post pics of my new lights tomorrow hopefully before the rain starts.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
For a newbie a common error is to mistake he brake light for the tail light.

If a brake light switch (on at the lever on the bars, one attached to the pedal) is stuck on through dirt, lack of lubrication, or just shorted out, you can't easily tell that it isn't just the tail light on.

THe easiest thing to do is disconnect both brake light switches at the cable connectors then turn on the ignition. The light will be the tail light. Reconnect eack brake light switch in turn and operate that brake. If one brake doesn't cause the light to brighten (brake light on), then investigate that switch. If neither of them cause the light to brighten, look at the brake light fuse.

If your brake lights genuinely come on with the ignition but go off when the engine starts the chances are that one of your switches is sticking, then freeing off with the vibration of the starter or engine. If this is happening you need to clean up the switch before it starts to stick on all the time.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your brake lights genuinely come on with the ignition but go off when the engine starts the chances are that one of your switches is sticking, then freeing off with the vibration of the starter or engine.
Rob
I think this is what's happening. The rear brake seems to be sticking sometimes. Like when I release the brake, the light will stay on until I tap it again. I'll have to try to clean it up. Thanks

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Give the switch a spray with WD 40 and wipe any thick dirt off the plunger. That's usually all it needs. Any more than that and it's easier in the long run just to replace the switch.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts