Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my friend just got a new to him 03 636R. We noticed the last ride his brake was not responding to the brake switch. Upon further review it looks to be stuck in the lit up position?

I thought the rear brake switch might be faulty so i took it off. (unplugged) Nothing. The front switch seems to be working from the clicking.

I have ran out of ideas. I even checked the fuse, i know if the fuse was bad it would probably not even light up but hey.

Anyone got any ideas or know the wiring diagram. I told him to take it to the dealer but, he said he is eating ramen noodles for the next month to pay for the bike and that is out of the question. :Laughing rolling:

The brake light is stock, although the turn signals are bullets doubt the taillight harness was messed with.

I think i covered enything?
Thank you very much in advance for anyone with any insight.

Anthony

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
yeah, check, clean switches. it could be a dirty contact. trace the wiring to the rear light from the rear switch. see if it's been cut or anything.

pm me after that if needed (i'll prolly forget this thred) i have a manual and can look at the diagram

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check all of those things tomorrow. I greatly appreciate the help.

I printed this page out.....lets see what i find tomorrow.

Anthony

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been chasing this problem for awhile. I just ordered new switches which did nothing. When a hooked the multimeter up to the terminals I found the the positive wire at the switch had a voltage when hooked to the battery neg. terminal, but the ground wire at the switch was not grounded. I tracked the bad ground all the way back to the tail light.

My theory is this. the blue wire is connected to some kind of amplifiers inside the wooven tube thats on the back of the tail light. The current is being cut either there or on the LED circuit itself. I am determined to figure this out once and for all. Ill keep you posted.

My only question to anyone out there is, Does anyone know what the components actually are that are in that wooven tube?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I forgot to mention, b/c the tail light is a 12V connection, I went as far as wiring the bastard directly to the battery. mine is actually stuck in the dim position. If yours is stuck on bright for sure, it is a stuck switch. If you have a multimeter check to see if your switches are working right

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, if you are still pondering this... I ran into recent taillight issues myself, checked both switches independently, checked voltages. Turns out there was a short in the light housing itself.Fix: Ordered a clear alternatives light off of ebay! Looks much better and has integrated turn signals so i could lose my undertail kit!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, yea I found that out. I tried to bake the taillight so I could open it up but I dont think the adhesive on the lens melts, so I couldnt get in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts