Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is coming up and I'll need a project to keep me busy. I didn't see anything pop up under the search or in the how to section :smash:


I've got an undertail with two clear brake light covers, similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ABS-KAWASAKI-ZX6R-98-02-ZZR6-05-07-BLACK-UNDERTAIL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem290274002246QQitemZ290274002246QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I'm finding that the LED tail lamps that came with it vibrate against the clear hemisphere covers too much and have damaged the running light rings of the LED brake lamps.

Solution: looking to cast a solid tail light lens with embedded LED's. Anyone have recommendations or pointers for casting to get the best clarity? I'm planning on securing the LED's temporarily to pcb board and letting them set in a mold. Permanently mounting them in the lens isn't a problem due to the longer life of LEDS, and with a silicone mold I'd be able to recast them later if I change the pattern or add a ring/different colors for integrated turn signals.

I'd rather not drill the lens and glue them as it doesn't look as clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,313 Posts
i'm not too sure anyone here has done plastic extrusion.. lol

but, keep us posted when you DO do this.. i'd like to see how it turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Parts are all in, just have to make a mold of the lens and decide on it's shape.

A little off original topic, but has anyone had luck with the 03-04 motowerkz gp style exhaust on an 98-02?




*edit*
First casting done, not wasting mold material or LED's yet. This is just to test set time, clarity and trapped bubbles. Because of the fumes (smells like a fiberglass repair shop) this is being done in an airbrush booth in the basement, which is around 45F. Decreasing temperature could delay set time up to 3 days :(

Even with careful mixing of the catalyst to the resin, it took on a yellowish hue and looked like a badly shaken bottle of hair gel. Within 20 minutes thankfully all the trapped bubbles had surfaced :D

Currently asking around for tips on a mold material. The latex mold builder I had planned on using is geared more towards small detailed pieces, whereas I could get away with using a cheap rubber material or alginate.



Think I have the pattern picked out for the brakes...
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top