Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a 70 mile ride today with some friends only to find out after we are done that my brake light decided to stay on the whole time has never happened before and I have not noticed it ever. I think I know what it is but I wanted to see if I may be right. I installed the power commander not to long ago. I wanted to know if there was any unplugging of brake lights during installation of the PCV.. Maybe I forgot to plug something in or backwards?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
little rear brake trigger? not exactly sure what you are talking about

i dont think its from the rear because i unplugged the only wire i saw next to the rear brake and it was still on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
it is most likely the rear brake that is cause it. you should go to the lever and look at how it works, there is a mechanism for how the brake lights turn on. in the old 250r is was a spring. good luck

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Dirty brake light switch - you'll see it attached to the pedal for the rear brake. Clean and adjust it. Very rarely the front switch on the lever sticks. Try spraying both with WD-40.

Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw 2 springs yesterday when I was looking at it. One was thicker than the other. I looked in the manual and it said the brake light switch was the one connected to the smaller spring. The piece that screws up a down on the bracket. So obviously I'm guessing it's that... Sould I unscrew it all the way off or just blast it with wd40? Do I pull off the rubber over the piece and blast it? I fiddled with it yesterday but it didn't do anything. But I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing either. The bike only has 1200ish miles on it. Why would it be getting stuck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa, don't use WD-40. use electrical contact cleaner. You can get it at any auto parts store. Remove the switch if you want, but you might be able to do it on-bike. Remove the wire harness. Remove the rubber piece, try to get as little contact cleaner on that as possible. Chlorinated contact cleaner will dissolve rubber (so don't spray your tires with it). You want to just blast that shit in there in as large a volume as possible. Make sure to get the plug as well, that is the problem 60% of the time. Give the switch a solid 15 min. to dry. Also, try tapping it with a hammer after it's been soaking for a few minutes. I mean tapping. Less force than you would sack-tap yourself with. That stuff's pretty safe so just hose down the whole switch with it, and stand back. Don't light a cigarette, and if what I said doesn't work, find a large sledgehammer, and give it 15-65 good whacks. I mean, really wind up on that hammer before you let it fly. I guarantee that will stop it from sticking...:p Oh! one more thing: if the switch rattles when you shake it, it's bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had the same issue after a wash..
It was the rear brake switch.
Cleaned it and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa whoa whoa, don't use WD-40. use electrical contact cleaner. You can get it at any auto parts store. Remove the switch if you want, but you might be able to do it on-bike. Remove the wire harness. Remove the rubber piece, try to get as little contact cleaner on that as possible. Chlorinated contact cleaner will dissolve rubber (so don't spray your tires with it). You want to just blast that shit in there in as large a volume as possible. Make sure to get the plug as well, that is the problem 60% of the time. Give the switch a solid 15 min. to dry. Also, try tapping it with a hammer after it's been soaking for a few minutes. I mean tapping. Less force than you would sack-tap yourself with. That stuff's pretty safe so just hose down the whole switch with it, and stand back. Don't light a cigarette, and if what I said doesn't work, find a large sledgehammer, and give it 15-65 good whacks. I mean, really wind up on that hammer before you let it fly. I guarantee that will stop it from sticking...:p Oh! one more thing: if the switch rattles when you shake it, it's bad.
Alright... Will try that later today.. O one more thing... Which harness am I supposed to remove

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok quick question before i go get the contact cleaner... i took off the brake trigger unplugged it and all... i just want to make sure... should the brake light still be on even with it unplugged? i would think it would just turn totally off. or is it like the turn signals where if there is a problem one pretty much stays on or something like that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O ya idk if this matters or not but when I put the key to park light mode the brake light is normal and not on

·
Registered
48 Posts
You haven't rewired anything? I know you said you put a power commander in... Try undoing that temporary and see if its the cause?

If you've tried these already sorry, don't recall some of the original posts and too lazy to go back :p

Not sure what it could be.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Use WD40, not electrical contact cleaner. That's for dirty contacts that aren't making because crud on them Your problem, if it is the switch, is that the mechanical parts of the switch are sticking. That requires WD40 or something similar to clean and lubricate the switch action. It's also fairly harmless to the rubber and the rest of the switch. If the contacts needed cleaning the light wouldn't be on.

If the light is still on with the switch unplugged it isn't that switch. Look at the front switch instead. If it's still on with both switches unplugged you have a wiring short.

In park mode the brake light circuit isn't activated. It does show that the fault isn't a short to the tail light circuit though.

The front brake light switch and the front right switch housin (kill switch and starter button) feed into a single connector which might be under the tank. This seems the most likely place for a short to another ignition switched circuit. Separate that connector and clean it.

Rob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Start with the plug closest to the switch, since it's going to be the one most exposed to the elements. You can work your way up the line cleaning all of them if you want, but my money's on that one.

By the way, here's a link:

removed
It's the factory service manual for our bikes.

Alright... Will try that later today.. O one more thing... Which harness am I supposed to remove

·
Registered
73 Posts
Contradict yourself much? By the way, what do you do for a living?

Dirty brake light switch - you'll see it attached to the pedal for the rear brake. Clean and adjust it. Very rarely the front switch on the lever sticks. Try spraying both with WD-40.

Rob

Use WD40, not electrical contact cleaner. That's for dirty contacts that aren't making because crud on them Your problem, if it is the switch, is that the mechanical parts of the switch are sticking. That requires WD40 or something similar to clean and lubricate the switch action. It's also fairly harmless to the rubber and the rest of the switch. If the contacts needed cleaning the light wouldn't be on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well... it was the front brake... the little trigger behind the lever snapped off... dont know how or when but i switched it out and now it all works...
thanks guys... at least if it happens again ill know what to check

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Contradict yourself much? By the way, what do you do for a living?
Can't see any contradiction there. Both posts say use WD40. Seems you need a little reading practice.

Sorry if I upset you by saying that contact cleaner was the wrong thing to use, but as the problem very clearly wasn't the switch contacts, then contact cleaner very clearly wasn't the correct thing to use.

I didn't suggest the plugs because they'd almost always result in a light that doesn't come on at all, not one that's on all the time.

Simple rule of thumb: If something like a brakelight fails to come on, look for an open circuit or corroded switch. In this case contact cleaner might be the appropriate thing to use, or WD40 if the problem is moisture related.

If it's on all the time look for a short circuit or a jammed switch. In this case it's either a job for WD40 to release the jammed switch or remove moisture causing a short, or it's a mechanical issue which has to be repaired, as it was in this case.

What does what I do for a living matter, btw? For the record I'm a professional engineer with a bias towards electrical, electronic and computer systems.

Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts