Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I was riding home tonight and noticed my tail lights to be very bright. It seems my rear brake switch is sticking. I have not had a chance to check it out yet because its dark out if I hit the rear breaks a few times it shuts off so I know its a sticking problem with the switch and was hoping for some helpful hints on a fix
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not sure about this but you can adjust your rear brake lever on the bike. This happened to me when I had my first bike. Some minor adjustments and it's good to go, I also applied some WD-40 to help aleviate this problem.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You could be missing the spring that's supposed to push the brake lever back into the off position. Check that out - but I gotta ask - why are you using the rear brake anyway?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Disconnect the switch until you have time to fix it :)

I've heard it's a common problem for the kawis, atleast in "our" conditions in Finland.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Uhh, Strong Bad, are you saying you don't use your rear break?

It's there for a reason ya know.

-Flash

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Originally posted by Flash Ahhh

Uhh, Strong Bad, are you saying you don't use your rear break?

It's there for a reason ya know.

-Flash

It's there because most racing organisation regulations require it. When you're braking as hard as you can however, the rear wheel is usually just skimming above the ground, any attempt to touch the rear brake would result in an instant lock up - which can be fun, but it isn't the fastest way around the circuit.

You can also use it to tightin up your line mid-corner and to control wheelspin on corner exit, but this hasn't really been a problem.....yet. Basically, you wan't at least one wheel to be near road speed in case you lose the other one. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You probably need to adjust your switch. I either possibly has vibrated loose and gotten out of adjustment or if you adjusted you brake you always need to chek the switch for adjustment also, becaused it will change along with the position of the lever. as the shoes wear and adjustments are made

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Well, I'll admit that I use it 'cause here in Michigan we have so many turn arounds in place of left turns that it's fun & easier to bring the rear around by pushing down on that rear brake pedal as hard as possible - but that IS the extent of it. ;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
On my 02 there is a brake lever return spring and a spring that attaches to it and the switch. I had the same problem once and I fixed it by bending the big spring up just a little where the smaller spring makes contact. Easy fix man.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Why is it that these replys get so far off topic that whoever asks for advice never actually gets any?? (...Aside from the first response...) A minor adjustment and a little oil or wd-40 did the trick for me. Whether you use the rear brake or not, it's a good idea on the street to have WORKING signal, running, and BRAKE lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.