Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 05/06 swingarm and gonna stick it to the zixxer. As my rear brake will be plenty too short could those who have done the swap please tell me what length and fittings I need for a custom line.

- Kylie

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure of the length as it's in my shop during the winter, and I haven't done the swap yet. sorry i can't help you.

I purchased the stock line and bracket (05-08 will fit) off line just to make sure. I believe it's aprox an inch and a half longer than our 03-04 length. If you can order or find 05-08 it will fit

your going to need a new chain (longer) also, and the linkage from an 05-08 as the knuckle for rear suspension is i think thinner? from the last time i looked at it. if your running the same year rear wheel from 05-08 you will also need the axle, and spacers for the wheel, as they don't match up with the drive chain.

not sure if that helped or if you have that info, but cheers hope it works out.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Comparing the two, at least 07/08 line is shorter than 03/04 on but I believe it is routed differently. At least banjo on caliper side is different (if you look at pictures, 03 hose is pointed to northeast of caliper, 05 to southeast). I used a braided hose that's 12cm longer than stock but I'm running a LSL rearsets and the manual said to use 12cm longer hose.

The stock chain will do as long as you run stock or std/+1 gearing. I'm gonna see if stock is enough for -1/+3 but I highly doubt that.

You need the knuckle IF you're going to use 05-08 rear suspension (at least for street you should, that's a cheap upgrade). It's thinner where the rear shock mounts. With 03 shock, use 03 linkage.

Axle in 05-08 is the same, you'll need that anyways. The swingarm is narrower. For 05/06 rim you need 03-05 spacers, for 07/08 rim you need 07/08 spacers. The hub of the rim has been offset to get better brake feel.

But as for the brake line. Hook things up and compare. At least then you'll see what kind of line you need. You won't need rear brakes anyway. :)

(Use fittings of 20 degrees sideways (caliper) - 20 degrees down (master) or 45 degrees side - 20 degrees down. Length of stock is 48cm bolt to bolt, for piece of mind you could run a bit longer hose.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts