Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Brake Pressure

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Twista 
#1 ·
So I had a little time to look at my bike in more detail today just to make sure everything is still good besides the fairing. I took it off to see like a oil type of stain around a scrape on the cover of the crankcase. I started the engine up to see if it was leaking and I got nothing and left the bike on for 10 mins. Dont know if Im missing anything on this one????

But my other question was is there anyway to decrease the initial grab on the front brakes??? I have no problem with the way are now but I was just trying to see if I can adjust some. I also noticed a low screeching noise that I can only hear when I roll the bike around on my feet, engine off, I was wondering what could this noise be as well??? I checked my pads and they look good??

#2 ·
Some front brake levers have adjustment for length of your fingers but this does nothing for initial grab of the brakes. For initial grab of the brakes, no adjustment that I know of. Screech when rolling with engine off could be brake pads making that sound cause they a slightly in contact with the rotors, normal. Also the front axle on most bikes has a rubber dust cover/seal that can be the source of this sound also.

#3 ·
But my other question was is there anyway to decrease the initial grab on the front brakes??? I have no problem with the way are now but I was just trying to see if I can adjust some. I also noticed a low screeching noise that I can only hear when I roll the bike around on my feet, engine off, I was wondering what could this noise be as well??? I checked my pads and they look good??
Move to a brembo master if it bothers you that much, they offer a few types depending on the amount of travel / feel you want.

The low screeching is just the pads rubbing on the rotors, normal.

#4 ·
Changing the master alters the leverage ratio throughout the whole of the braking pressure range. The only way to control the initial grab is to practise using the brakes and developing a good feel for them.

Your noise has to be either the chain, the brake pads dragging a little, which is normal, or something from your off catching against a wheel. Check that the caliper mounting is free to move (the bike is a 650?) and the calipers and mounting have suffered no damage and that there's no warping to the brake discs.

Rob

#5 ·
it honestly sounds like the brake pads are dragging because its coming from the front of the bike. It just sounds like they are dragging more than they did before i layed it down. Like I can roll the bike and its get louder and goes back quiet over and over. the bike is a 6r. The calipers look fine no damage or anything. The disc also look fine they are straight with no scratches or anything.

#6 ·
Sounds like a bent rotor. If it increases with speed then it definitely is. The only real way to tell is to have them checked for run out.

#7 ·
And I just went out to check it this morning and my brakes arent holding pressure anymore. I bleed them last night and i didnt see any air bubbles but I just went to try them out and i have to pump them about 2-3 times to get some pressure.

#10 ·
nevermind i think i found it, if u were talking about the value on the handle bars

#14 ·
Im guessing its called the generator cover as to ronayers website. I see a hairline underneath it and I get a droplet build up about every 15 seconds. Do you think it would be alright to jb weld it till i replace the cover???? The brake rotors I dont know about. I looked at them for like 20 mins trying to see if they were bent but they look normal. I think they are bent though seeing as when I roll around on it in the garage i dont hear any noises till it gets to a certain part on the rotor. Bike doesnt become any harder to push though, it just makes a screeching noise on that part and then gets quiet till it goes over it again.

#15 · (Edited)
when my bike got tipped, one of the covers got a light scratch....and ended up leaking from it.
i just used some RIGHT STUFF silicone. dabbed it on, then wiped it off with my finger. it hasnt leaked since. infact, i forget about it until just now when i read your post.

#16 ·
cool will give that stuff a try. Because honestly its not bad i couldnt even tell the crack was there even with the oil leaking directly from it...

#17 ·
also was wondering if the brake rotors were bent would i feel a vibration in the handlebars???

#18 · (Edited)
Yes under braking when riding you would feel pulsing in the bars and lever. Best way to check if you do not have a dial indicator is get the front of the bike off the ground (in a stand) and spin the front tire slowly. If one of the rotors is bent the front wheel will stop spinning in the same spot and bind on the brake pads. If you have 2 rotors on the front, remove one brake caliper and spin test with one caliper on at a time to locate which rotor is bent.

#21 ·
If your system contains no more air bubbles and you can't get any brake pressure, one or two rotors are probably that much bent that they are pushing the caliper pistons back every turn they make. This also gives a pulsating feel in the brake lever.

#22 · (Edited)
yea I think my rotors are bent as I just went out there to check the brake pressure today and it was still there, but as soon as I started rolling around in the garage i lost pressure. So yea it seems as though i bent one of the rotors. Probably the left one seeing as the bike low sided on that side...

Also which years are compatible with my 08 zx-6r when it comes to rotors. Was going to shop around for a replacement

#23 ·
Mark J is correct. If the rotor is bent it will push the pads back each rotation of the wheel, causing you to have a spongy lever. I had that issue on an R1 I bought that had an impact on the right front rotor. Even though I replaced the rotor the problem came back soon after. Had to replace the wheel cause where the rotor bolted up was slightly tweaked even though the wheel was straight. If you replace the rotor have the wheel checked also for trueness especially where the rotor bolts too.:thumbup:

#24 ·
wow one problem after another lol.....so should i get the wheel checked first as maybe the rotor is fine but the wheel isnt????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.