Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I need some input. For the most part, squealing brakes are usually a sign of wear and indicate replacement pads soon right? My rear brake squeals when I'm 1-2 seconds to coming to a complete stop, and ONLY during those times. They don't squeal during braking at any other time, and is only noticeable at complete stops, what gives? The pads look alright to me, and the rotors don't look warped. My brakes are oem btw.

Turns out a lot of other people have had this problem from my searches, but I still can't seem to find a reasonable explanation or cause of the squealing.

How much clearance should there be from the pad to the rotor when the brake lever is not depressed?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
dust dirt n crap.
gets in there, or there's a 'chunky' bit in the brake pad 'meat' which is just a bit harder than the rest. My brakes some times squeal until they warm up. If you want them to stop, take them out and clean them up, and the calipers, with some brake cleaner, and put it all back again.

The squeal is often a wear indicator that's either a clip on the back of the pad or built into the side of the pad that brushes the disc as you brake. Bikes rarely have this. If it's squealing bad, then you've gone thru to the backing! But since you say you can still see meat on it, then it's likely to be just brake dust building up. Wash it off with brake cleaner and it'll be fine

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting, I'm gonna give it a try 'cause its not the best sound in the world and gets pretty annoying after a while. thanks!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
First thing to do is clean the discs. Don't get brake cleaner on your tire.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
You could also take some 180 grit sandpaper to them to ruff them up a bit too. I changed my stock pads to EBC and those would squeal badly brand new, but again, only at the end of braking at low speed, applying them at high speeds and hot they didn't. I cleaned my whole system, helped a tiny bit, but I still have the stock rotors with aftermarket pads, which is a common squealing combo. +1 to not getting brake cleaner or fluid on your tyres. Go get one of those 24 pack of terrycloth towels for like 4 bucks, use em, dirty em, toss em.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I use some fine sandpaper every so often on my discs. Helps with pad wear and feel.

--David

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I use some fine sandpaper every so often on my discs. Helps with pad wear and feel.

--David
I'd avoid sandpapering your discs.. pads, fine. Discs, no.. Besides, the disc material is friken hard, sand paper won't do anything but annoy the discs imo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts