Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Braided hoses and sintered pads. I must admit my personal preference is HEL lines and SBS (OEM supplier to many manufacturers and very good in cold and rain ) sintered pads front with organic rear. Had EBC HH on my bandit but found they were hard wearing on the discs.

Reactions: GR rider

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Braided hoses and sintered pads. I must admit my personal preference is HEL lines and SBS (OEM supplier to many manufacturers and very good in cold and rain ) sintered pads front with organic rear. Had EBC HH on my bandit but found they wear hard wearing on the discs.
Have you tried the Sinter Evo paste?

The SBS pads feel indeed more gentle to the rotors from the get go without that affecting efficiency.

Also, tell me what you think of my impressions about them when I post the full review!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
New brake pads all around and fresh Motul RBF 600 racing brake fluid today :)

I chose this fluid because it's the only nitrogen sealed bottle by the factory and of course because of its top specs! After a lot of research I fitted the SBS Evo sinter pads in front:

The company's best road and track pads, they claim to offer strong initial bite and exceptional performance without squeaks.

For the rear caliper I went for the SBS 687 LS, sintered and developed to work in tandem with the Evo sinter fronts. All the power of a metallic pad but with controllable performance to avoid over braking and lockups:

I went through about fifty break in cycles and an hour of normal riding today and the pads felt amazing and very high quality! They already feel much fuller and less wooden compared to the Brembos that they replaced and I will post my road, track and everyday impressions in the near future, big grin for the moment :cool:

P. S. The Road SA Brembos proved to be excellent and durable front pads and I will post my back to back comparison with the new SBS combo soon. The rear Ferodo Platinum was a bit disappointing overall as it was way too vague feeling and quite weak. However, it proved long lasting and it could be the choice for those who don't use the rear brake too much or are afraid of using it while turning, in order to close their line or control their speed.
What disk are you running these on? I'm about to get rear pads and I wanna get something that's really responsive for rear brakes, cos I have some ancient pads in the rear nearly worn away and you just dont get any feel so I want something with good bite.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
What disk are you running these on? I'm about to get rear pads and I wanna get something that's really responsive for rear brakes, cos I have some ancient pads in the rear nearly worn away and you just dont get any feel so I want something with good bite.
Definitely sintered metallic then, and a steel braided line. I fitted braided lines only at the front because I don't want the rear wheel locking easily. All my rotors are OEM dispite the hard use as they are of great Kawasaki quality! If you can wait a few days I will tell you about the new SBS rear pad that seems to offer the best of both worlds :)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Definitely sintered metallic then, and a steel braided line. I fitted braided lines only at the front because I don't want the rear wheel locking easily. All my rotors are OEM dispite the hard use as they are of great Kawasaki quality! If you can wait a few days I will tell you about the new SBS rear pad that seems to offer the best of both worlds :)
Sure thing I don't need one right now, I already have braided lines front and back, front I'm running EBC discs on EBC HH pads and it's a noticeable upgrade but the HH pads need a little use to get up to temp, they're passable when you set off in the morning when it's 5°C but they only really offer "bite" once you've gone through a few twisty corners, but when they are up to temp the stopping power is absolutely fantastic. That said I heard better things from the Vesrah pads and SBS but all for the front. My mother has a Z300 and that thing's rear brakes actually work. Mine are so ambiguous that pressing them when braking is more courtesy than actually doing something, but you can lock the rears if you step on them it's just there is absolutely 0 feel. That said I'm also running some cheap disks in the rear but I'm not committed enough to upgrade those because I'll soon be getting a new daily bike and this will be relegated to backup duty and I don't particularly wanna spend too much money on it. That said don't feel like I'm gonna ditch the 650 family, I've spent too much time with it to just abandon it 😂 😂

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was thinking about trying the sbs brand, I've heard many good things especially from the racing crowd. The evo sinter seems to be an ultra premium pad and a click above the red brembos. Waiting for your honest and detailed review.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That said I'm also running some cheap disks in the rear but I'm not committed enough to upgrade those because I'll soon be getting a new daily bike and this will be relegated to backup duty and I don't particularly wanna spend too much money on it. That said don't feel like I'm gonna ditch the 650 family, I've spent too much time with it to just abandon it 😂 😂
Motorcycling is about emotions, not categories, cc's and money.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'm about to get rear pads and I wanna get something that's really responsive for rear brakes, cos I have some ancient pads in the rear nearly worn away and you just dont get any feel so I want something with good bite.
When the time comes, I think you will be probably better off with the RQ - CARBON TECH rear pad:

It looks more suited to your rear brake performance needs at least on paper!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
After a week of normal use and numerous break-in cycles the pads are pretty much bedded in. The company suggests 200kms of operation and I am sure I am there or there about. Please note again that I have aftermarket progressive fork springs and braided brake lines fitted at the front. Also, my fork oil is six months old and I change it at least every eighteen months and you should do the same (the WP 10W is an excellent choice).

The SBS Sinter Evo are better in every aspect in comparison to the Brembo SA that they’ve replaced. As I’ve already mentioned the Brembos are excellent, high end pads so even more credit toward the Sinter Evos.

The SBS pads have an amazing, premium feeling, like the way Ohlins suspension works or the doors of a German car close. In two words I would describe them as “sweet violence”, top stopping power with a pleasant, full feeling from initiation to locking point, linear, crisp and easy to modulate at the limit. The initial biting performance is only marginally better than the Brembos but the upper limit is set by the hardware anyway. The perfect pads for stoppies if you are into these things!

The rear pad is way better than the Ferodo Platinum it replaces and the fact that it was developed to work in tandem with the front pads is evident from the get go! It works amazingly when the front system is loaded under braking, with excellent feeling as the rear lightens up. I know exactly where the locking limit is and I can hover around it pleasantly while keeping the bike stable under hard braking. Extremely useful on the slippery roads of my city and also on good, grippy tarmac where I can utilize the full potential of the rear brake. The initial biting is strong but not extreme.

They seem totally unaffected by rain and feel even safer in low grip conditions. Purely delightful when braking from highway speeds. Zero warm up needed front and rear, these pads are ready to go at least when it comes to urban braking and zero noises whatsoever, no squeaks or harsh metal to metal contact noises, even their contact noise sounds premium!

Conclusively, these are the best pads I’ve ever fitted to the Er, premium quality, sophisticated feel, like an iron fist in a velvet glove! I am looking forward to try them on track too, and I will post my impressions when, Covid allowed, this happens. Until then, I totally recommend the SBS Evo Sinter + 687LS Sinter combo, the front pads are a step above regular sintered pads and the rear compliments them perfectly (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow that was fast GR Rider! Good write up as always and the pads seem like a nice upgrade thanks for that. I think that you will be equally impressed on track too as the only impressions I've heard about sbs so far is about track use and they were all very positive. It seems that sbs tried to create something special in order to make a name for themselves and that's why it pays to research before buying.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
You are welcome, I didn't expect serious improvement in comparison to the red Brembos to be honest, so I was very pleasantly surprised!

I think the same about the company and I can really feel the R&D behind these pads. Recently I read that it was bought by big fish Brembo though, and it doesn't look like just a market equalization move if you ask me as Brembo just announced a new premium sintered paste... :unsure: :devilish:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Nice, My SBS 687LS rears just arrived in the post, gonna fit them the coming days, sounds like exactly the sort of behaviour I'm looking for.
Great, I am curious to see how it'll work with a different setup!

Just don't step on the rear brake straight away and don't stop the bike with it. Always let some air flow between applications for a couple hundred kms. But I guess you already know all that!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Great, I am curious to see how it'll work with a different setup!

Just don't step on the rear brake straight away and don't stop the bike with it. Always let some air flow between applications for a couple hundred kms. But I guess you already know all that!
Haha will have to wait a little while, my slide pin is seized in the calliper, I'll take another go at it tomorrow and I ordered a replacement pin that'll be here in a day or 2 as well. I'll let you know how it feels!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Haha will have to wait a little while, my slide pin is seized in the calliper, I'll take another go at it tomorrow and I ordered a replacement pin that'll be here in a day or 2 as well. I'll let you know how it feels!
Good luck, grease the new pin well and also clean the caliper with soapy water and /or brake cleaner, it's a good opportunity for that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
...at least every eighteen months and you should do the same (the WP 10W is an excellent choice).
Is this a brand?

I think the same about the company and I can really feel the R&D behind these pads. Recently I read that it was bought by big fish Brembo though, and it doesn't look like just a market equalization move if you ask me as Brembo just announced a new premium sintered paste... :unsure: :devilish:
What is the name of the new paste? Couldn't find anything on Brembo's official site. Nice thread btw (y)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Is this a brand?

What is the name of the new paste? Couldn't find anything on Brembo's official site. Nice thread btw (y)
Yes, it's the *********** brand providing suspension parts to KTM for years. For obvious reasons it is referred to as just WP:

Since there's no such thing as racist fork oil, I recommend it for the first gen Er models with the soft fork. More expensive but notably better than the equivalent BelRay product.

The new premium Brembo road pad is called SR and it replaces the SC compound:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, it's the *** brand providing suspension parts to KTM for years. For obvious reasons it is referred to as just WP:

Since there's no such thing as racist fork oil, I recommend it for the first gen Er models with the soft fork. More expensive but notably better than the equivalent BelRay product.

The new premium Brembo road pad is called SR and it replaces the SC compound:

But of course Whyte Powar don't worry everything is racist these days ha ha. Not very easy to find and purchase though so more of a niche brand. Thanks for the pad info.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
But of course Whyte Powar don't worry everything is racist these days ha ha. Not very easy to find and purchase though so more of a niche brand. Thanks for the pad info.
Yup, picked it up at a motocross suspension workshop, worked a treat!

Do be honest I was going for Ohlins or Wilbers zero friction before bumping into this. Totally recommended :)

61 - 80 of 104 Posts