Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So this topic got me going and I started by cleaning the calipers and inspecting the pads. The rear one is marginal and I am seriously thinking about the Carbon Tech pad that GR suggested or maybe the LS? I haven't decided yet. My front pads seem to have some life left in them but I noticed a step - ridge where they contact the rotor. Is this ok because I don't like any form of waste.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So this topic got me going and I started by cleaning the calipers and inspecting the pads. The rear one is marginal and I am seriously thinking about the Carbon Tech pad that GR suggested or maybe the LS? I haven't decided yet. My front pads seem to have some life left in them but I noticed a step - ridge where they contact the rotor. Is this ok because I don't like any form of waste.
The front pads need to go too, the whole meaning of service is to change parts before becoming potentially dangerous. If you wait until you hear them complain, it may be too late for your discs or your own safety. I would really like to know how the Carbon rear pad feels but the choice is yours!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The front pads need to go too, the whole meaning of service is to change parts before becoming potentially dangerous. If you wait until you hear them complain, it may be too late for your discs or your own safety. I would really like to know how the Carbon rear pad feels but the choice is yours!
Yes I decided to change all the pads + fluid as part of a mini service. Unfortunately at the place where I service my bike they push their own brands. I hope that they at least agree about the SBS pads :(

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yes I decided to change all the pads + fluid as part of a mini service. Unfortunately at the place where I service my bike they push their own brands. I hope that they at least agree about the SBS pads :(
That's always a problem and to be honest I can't blame neither the workshops nor their clients. So do what I do, find a good mechanic that you can trust and tell him that you are going to buy your own parts all the time or from time to time and that you want to be around when said parts are being fitted. It's a man's deal and the only way to be sure about what's going on your bike.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
That's always a problem and to be honest I can't blame neither the workshops nor their clients. So do what I do, find a good mechanic that you can trust and tell him that you are going to buy your own parts all the time or from time to time and that you want to be around when said parts are being fitted. It's a man's deal and the only way to be sure about what's going on your bike.
I'm fortunate enough to know a rather blunt but extremely knowledgeable mechanic called Stewart, he trusts me to bring the right parts or the ones I want but has also proposed a few times that me buying the part online, instead he will order them in at the same price, that way he gets a cut at the same price. I think it's a fair arrangement. He sourced my Power 5s when i tried them for £10 less than I could find online so it was better for me and him. Find a mechanic like Stewart and you'll never dread having to take your bike to a mechanic :) (y)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So here are my final on-road impressions for the SBS pads:

www.sbs.dk

705SP

www.sbs.dk
www.sbs.dk

www.sbs.dk

687LS

www.sbs.dk
www.sbs.dk

It took quite a while to completely bed in the front pair with a few high speed 140+ to 40kph cycles included. They worked extremely well from the get go of course, and kept improving with time. The rear pad was pretty much ready after a week and about eighty rolling cycles. When properly bed in, a brave dose of brake cleaner in the calipers and a good wiping of the rotors brought the whole braking system to 100%.

I will start with the rear pad as it impressed me the most. Very nice feeling on the pedal, assertive and accurate bite, crystal clear locking point. Ideal for riders who use the rear brake either in town or to help the front end of the bike keep the desired line while turning. It makes filtering and city riding along with the traffic a doddle – the front brake is needed only to bring the bike to a complete stop or when the speed increases. Unique and excellent feeling and control when the rear wheel lightens up during hard braking and it works amazingly well with the front Evo Sinter pads as advertised. Best reap pad I’ve ever tried.

The front pads provide very sophisticated feel, linear and full at the same time, excellent bite and power, and a broad and well defined range of operation which fills the rider with confidence. Sweet violence as I wrote above, which is contradictory and quite difficult to achieve and my personal absolute favorite when it comes to braking. They also produce less brake dust than the previous red Brembos and they feel and sound much friendlier when squeezing the rotor hard. Both front and rear pads are very user friendly with little to no warm up time needed, fade proof and completely silent in their operation.

Best brake pad combo I’ve ever used and thus totally recommended!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
So here are my final on-road impressions for the SBS pads:

www.sbs.dk

705SP

www.sbs.dk
www.sbs.dk

www.sbs.dk

687LS

www.sbs.dk
www.sbs.dk

It took quite a while to completely bed in the front pair with a few high speed 140+ to 40kph cycles included. They worked extremely well from the get go of course, and kept improving with time. The rear pad was pretty much ready after a week and about eighty rolling cycles. When properly bed in, a brave dose of brake cleaner in the calipers and a good wiping of the rotors brought the whole braking system to 100%.

I will start with the rear pad as it impressed me the most. Very nice feeling on the pedal, assertive and accurate bite, crystal clear locking point. Ideal for riders who use the rear brake either in town or to help the front end of the bike keep the desired line while turning. It makes filtering and city riding along with the traffic a doddle – the front brake is needed only to bring the bike to a complete stop or when the speed increases. Unique and excellent feeling and control when the rear wheel lightens up during hard braking and it works amazingly well with the front Evo Sinter pads as advertised. Best reap pad I’ve ever tried.

The front pads provide very sophisticated feel, linear and full at the same time, excellent bite and power, and a broad and well defined range of operation which fills the rider with confidence. Sweet violence as I wrote above, which is contradictory and quite difficult to achieve and my personal absolute favorite when it comes to braking. They also produce less brake dust than the previous red Brembos and they feel and sound much friendlier when squeezing the rotor hard. Both front and rear pads are very user friendly with little to no warm up time needed, fade proof and completely silent in their operation.

Best brake pad combo I’ve ever used and thus totally recommended!
Happy to hear the rear pads work so well, I still haven't gotten around to installing mine lol I just got my S1000XR a month ago and as much as I'm ashamed I've neglected the 650, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get it done when I pop down to the mechanic for new tyres on the S1000XR (rear Pirelli angel GTs delaminated with 3mm thread left....), "They also produce less brake dust than the previous red Brembos" Sounds good, might use these to replace the pads in my XR as those use red brembos as standard and the callipers are filthy all the time. I'm interested in how they wear though, mileage, disc vs pad wear, looking forward to further updates!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Happy to hear the rear pads work so well, I still haven't gotten around to installing mine lol I just got my S1000XR a month ago and as much as I'm ashamed I've neglected the 650, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get it done when I pop down to the mechanic for new tyres on the S1000XR (rear Pirelli angel GTs delaminated with 3mm thread left....), "They also produce less brake dust than the previous red Brembos" Sounds good, might use these to replace the pads in my XR as those use red brembos as standard and the callipers are filthy all the time. I'm interested in how they wear though, mileage, disc vs pad wear, looking forward to further updates!
Wow, congrats on your new spaceship of a bike! I wish you many happy miles, it really is an impressive motorcycle (y)

The Brembos produced a lot of dust indeed, this SBS paste is cleaner with less sticky dust. I will keep posting after trips, track days etc about wear and performance over time :)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Wow, congrats on your new spaceship of a bike! I wish you many happy miles, it really is an impressive motorcycle (y)

The Brembos produced a lot of dust indeed, this SBS paste is cleaner with less sticky dust. I will keep posting after trips, track days etc about wear and performance over time :)
It really is amazing. Just about all the goodies on it, I'm bamboozled a bike can be this insanely good. I've done just over 2200 miles on since I got it delivered on the 24th of March and it's been out of commission because of that tyre for just over a week. The 650 will stay in the stable and probably going to be put to use for my mom as an upgrade from her Z300. She actually finds the 650 much easier to ride and comfier, especially with the low seat height.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
It really is amazing. Just about all the goodies on it, I'm bamboozled a bike can be this insanely good. I've done just over 2200 miles on since I got it delivered on the 24th of March and it's been out of commission because of that tyre for just over a week. The 650 will stay in the stable and probably going to be put to use for my mom as an upgrade from her Z300. She actually finds the 650 much easier to ride and comfier, especially with the low seat height.
Ha ha, poor tyre has 160 horses to manage, what did you expect 😀

Very happy for you, live the dream!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Ha ha, poor tyre has 160 horses to manage, what did you expect 😀

Very happy for you, live the dream!
Finally had the time to replace the pads, also rebuilt the calliper whilst I was at it. I go to start the bike, nothing. Multimeter said 4.5V on the battery :cry:
I tried jumping it with an old battery with 11.4V on it, it started on the 4th turn and ran fine after I disconnected the battery but even after running it for 10 minutes it struggled to get up to 11V so i think battery is gone. Funnily enough, the old battery I used to jump was the one in the bike previously, glad I didn't throw it out, put it in, started the bike, after 5 mins, bike off held 12.6V Idk why i replaced it, it'll be okay for now. I've never had battery problems on this bike so never bothered with trickle charging as I'd have to remove the battery (no electricity in the garage). I'll see if I can coax the new batter back to life but if not, it is what it is. On the bright side brakes bled easy, nice and firm, looking to go try them out tomorrow since weather is crap today.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Finally had the time to replace the pads, also rebuilt the calliper whilst I was at it. I go to start the bike, nothing. Multimeter said 4.5V on the battery :cry:
I tried jumping it with an old battery with 11.4V on it, it started on the 4th turn and ran fine after I disconnected the battery but even after running it for 10 minutes it struggled to get up to 11V so i think battery is gone. Funnily enough, the old battery I used to jump was the one in the bike previously, glad I didn't throw it out, put it in, started the bike, after 5 mins, bike off held 12.6V Idk why i replaced it, it'll be okay for now. I've never had battery problems on this bike so never bothered with trickle charging as I'd have to remove the battery (no electricity in the garage). I'll see if I can coax the new batter back to life but if not, it is what it is. On the bright side brakes bled easy, nice and firm, looking to go try them out tomorrow since weather is crap today.
Battery trouble is always frustrating, nice job with the the brakes though (y)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Battery trouble is always frustrating, nice job with the the brakes though (y)
Just had a go with it and wow. After the rebuild + pads that brake is insanely good. Totally transformed. Good instant feedback due to braided lines, very good power modulation, linear braking force straight from cold start through the city to destination. I dare say it's as good as the rear brake on my S1000XR and that bike is known for it's outstanding rear brake. They are so good they are about on par with the front brakes which is a bit sad, but I'm gonna put that down to the fact that it's been a while since the fronts were rebuilt and they have fairly old fluid, old pads and discs that sat around. If the rear SBS is anything to go by I can't imagine how good the fronts must be. Assuming wear and life are up to standard definitely one of the best pads I've ever tried, the rear disc is a cheapo chinese Rezo disc and that combo works better than EBC HH worked on their own Floating Contour XC discs which is one of their higher end products. Big thumbs up from me too, might even try them in the BMW when time comes. Fronts have plenty of life but that bike chomps rear pads for breakfast due to the integral brakes.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Just had a go with it and wow. After the rebuild + pads that brake is insanely good. Totally transformed. Good instant feedback due to braided lines, very good power modulation, linear braking force straight from cold start through the city to destination. I dare say it's as good as the rear brake on my S1000XR and that bike is known for it's outstanding rear brake. They are so good they are about on par with the front brakes which is a bit sad, but I'm gonna put that down to the fact that it's been a while since the fronts were rebuilt and they have fairly old fluid, old pads and discs that sat around. If the rear SBS is anything to go by I can't imagine how good the fronts must be. Assuming wear and life are up to standard definitely one of the best pads I've ever tried, the rear disc is a cheapo chinese Rezo disc and that combo works better than EBC HH worked on their own Floating Contour XC discs which is one of their higher end products. Big thumbs up from me too, might even try them in the BMW when time comes. Fronts have plenty of life but that bike chomps rear pads for breakfast due to the integral brakes.
Very - very glad to hear that the pad works well with your setup too :)

In my opinion, that feeling of front brake inadequacy (I know exactly what you mean) in comparison is mainly aparent during city riding and slow speeds in general, and it has to do more with lack of feel than power. It is a bit weird but because of geometry and braking hardware the rear brake seems to "compliment" the front more.

Also, a direct comparison of between Brembos and SBS pads on your BMW would be very interesting indeed (y)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
Very - very glad to hear that the pad works well with your setup too :)

In my opinion, that feeling of front brake inadequacy (I know exactly what you mean) in comparison is mainly aparent during city riding and slow speeds in general, and it has to do more with lack of feel than power. It is a bit weird but because of geometry and braking hardware the rear brake seems to "compliment" the front more.

Also, a direct comparison of between Brembos and SBS pads on your BMW would be very interesting indeed (y)
Yes very true, in city and light braking it feels like wood compared to the BMW, i didn't think that before but riding the BMW really highlighted it. Once they are up to temp they have good power and grab, and okay feeling. The SBS rears though worked the moment I left the drive. I don't know what more there is to be done, maybe an MC upgrade/rebuild as I have 2x full length braided lines to each calliper and it's a massive improvement to the stock, rubber, over the fender setup already. HH pads also last an oddly low amount of miles, I never really got more than 7-8k miles out of the fronts. The BMW still has original pads in the front and rear with over 3mm meat on the fronts and about 1.5-2mm on the rears. at now 18,000 miles. Surprising too as the bike regularly does higher speeds and has much less engine braking than the ER.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Yes very true, in city and light braking it feels like wood compared to the BMW, i didn't think that before but riding the BMW really highlighted it. Once they are up to temp they have good power and grab, and okay feeling. The SBS rears though worked the moment I left the drive. I don't know what more there is to be done, maybe an MC upgrade/rebuild as I have 2x full length braided lines to each calliper and it's a massive improvement to the stock, rubber, over the fender setup already. HH pads also last an oddly low amount of miles, I never really got more than 7-8k miles out of the fronts. The BMW still has original pads in the front and rear with over 3mm meat on the fronts and about 1.5-2mm on the rears. at now 18,000 miles. Surprising too as the bike regularly does higher speeds and has much less engine braking than the ER.
Nice info, keep comparing and posting interesting stuff (y)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
232 Posts
One more interesting update. I just rode to and from work in full pouring rain and I have to say with the refresh of the rear brakes and the fact this (or at least my 650) delivers power so smoothly paired with a Road 5, there is an absurd amount of rear wheel grip. The sort of things I get away with, not having ABS and TC is insane. You can feel the rear wheel under braking so well that I can brake almost as hard as in the dry without even a little slip from the rear. The suspension on my 650 has also always just by some miracle is absolutely bang on for me, obviously you can feel it's a cheap suspension but all the settings are juuuuust right for me how they come from the factory (except motul 15w fork oil). The rear of the bike has so much confidence now that I'm genuinely tempted to track it in the wet just to see what it can do. The raw mechanical grip and feel and feedback both when accelerating and braking is crazy. I don't really wanna compare to the BMW here because that bike is obviously a completely different category, especially price wise but I feel similar amount of confidence with this setup as I do with the BMW in Rain mode with all the assists dialled right up, obviously the BMW has much better brakes and a lot more power to handle but overall confidence is very comparable. Greatly impressed. Obviously this is not all down to the SBS pads, though as I said I rate them highly and are essential part of the setup but overall I think the rear end of the bike is absolutely perfect right now.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
One more interesting update. I just rode to and from work in full pouring rain and I have to say with the refresh of the rear brakes and the fact this (or at least my 650) delivers power so smoothly paired with a Road 5, there is an absurd amount of rear wheel grip. The sort of things I get away with, not having ABS and TC is insane. You can feel the rear wheel under braking so well that I can brake almost as hard as in the dry without even a little slip from the rear. The suspension on my 650 has also always just by some miracle is absolutely bang on for me, obviously you can feel it's a cheap suspension but all the settings are juuuuust right for me how they come from the factory (except motul 15w fork oil). The rear of the bike has so much confidence now that I'm genuinely tempted to track it in the wet just to see what it can do. The raw mechanical grip and feel and feedback both when accelerating and braking is crazy. I don't really wanna compare to the BMW here because that bike is obviously a completely different category, especially price wise but I feel similar amount of confidence with this setup as I do with the BMW in Rain mode with all the assists dialled right up, obviously the BMW has much better brakes and a lot more power to handle but overall confidence is very comparable. Greatly impressed. Obviously this is not all down to the SBS pads, though as I said I rate them highly and are essential part of the setup but overall I think the rear end of the bike is absolutely perfect right now.
I very much agree, good use of the rear brake is essential on the Er and the whole suspension and brake balance equation is very good for the price of the package. The rear SBS is absolutely top notch independtly of aftermarket enhancements. I will soon have some extra pad info to share too :cool:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just adding another brake option to the mix
With these brackets you can add radial callipers and also a radial master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Just adding another brake option to the mix
With these brackets you can add radial callipers and also a radial master cylinder.
Very interesting and tempting (y)

The price is around 80 Euros, 3000 Baht looked pretty scary initially!

81 - 100 of 104 Posts