Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo,

i got an '04 636 and im looking to upgrade my brakes. naturally, im going with stainless steel braided brake lines and changing pads. but i know there's other ways to upgrade the brakes. can i use newer zx-10 bike's brakes and swap? i know the r1 master cylinder is a pretty good "brembo" upgrade.

basically, i have about 250-300 to spend and other then stainless steel lines and pads, what can i do to increase the stopping power?

also, what kinda pads are good based on personal experience? EBC?

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
339 Posts
amish,

you can do the 05-06 zx6r rotor (same as 04-05 zx10r rotors) swap. im doing mine this week.

·
Registered
295 Posts
for about 300 bucks you can get your hands on zx14 master cyl + Nissin calipers. A few Kawi riders have been jumping on the Nissin bandwagon and the zx14 has those. The master cyl on the zx14 is bigger than our OEM ZX-6R unit as well.

If I were to spend your money for you, I'd drop it on a brembo radial master cyl + braided lines.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yah. im gonna have to piece together a kit in the next couple days to sell off the extras i had since i needed to buy a minimum order. probably after i snap some pics with the new setup. itd include the 4 spacers needed plus 4 new longer bolts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yah. im gonna have to piece together a kit in the next couple days to sell off the extras i had since i needed to buy a minimum order. probably after i snap some pics with the new setup. itd include the 4 spacers needed plus 4 new longer bolts.
where did u get the spacers?

·
Registered
339 Posts
local machinist.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Brembo sells a kit to fit oversize rotors on a bike with radial calipers, like putting 300mm rotors on a 03/04 636, but its something like $60. All you need are four 10x70mm bolts in 1.5 pitch, finer thread than a typical 10mm bolt, and four 10mm thick spacers with a 10mm hole in the center. I made mine out of 7/8 diameter aluminum rod. I have access to a lathe at work, but if you don't they shouldn't cost very much to have made, they are a very simple piece. The bolts were a little over a dollar a piece at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes the r6 MC will fit just fine. That is what i am running. the zx brake lines work too, but will fit better with r6 lines. SS lines of course. big upgrade over stock..

·
Registered
161 Posts
the new r6 MC is radial and has a better feel then the 03/04 zx MC

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
if your looking for the best bang for the buck this is it.

ZX14 or 2007 ZX6R-Nissin Calipers with the radial master cylinder and stainless lines.
should be able to get all this for under $300 and you will very very pleased with the results.

I have a 2004 zx10r that i had the stock set-up just like yours except 10mm bigger rotors, and swapped to the zx14 calipers and master with stainless brakelines, a HUGE difference that matched if not beat my 05 zx6r set-up (galfer rotors,superbikelines,hh pads & brembo 19x18MC)
Now i am running the nissins on the zx6r and a huge improvement over the Tokicos..Basically the Tokicos are not on the same level.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i just bought an 08 zx10r and its got a new caliper design and they feel great in stock form compared to my 6r with all the upgrades but still using the tokico's. not sure if the new ones on the zx10 are better then the nissins, but they are light years ahead of the old style tokico. i plan to measure to new 10's to see if they they use the same mountings the old ones use.

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
AZZKER, you sellout with the new 10R!!!!!!!!!!!

JK i am sure it is a good bike, but with your bike the brake bodies are semi-monoblock-
not quite what the brembos are but one peice cast bodies with the piston brough in from the outside (like the Yamaha's), honestly not true monoblocks.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
AZZKER, you sellout with the new 10R!!!!!!!!!!!

JK i am sure it is a good bike, but with your bike the brake bodies are semi-monoblock-
not quite what the brembos are but one peice cast bodies with the piston brough in from the outside (like the Yamaha's), honestly not true monoblocks.
i know their not monoblocks, but i figured i would mention the difference for people that like to try different things, plus i think they look better than the nissin's.

i am still keeping the 636 though so i will be able to do some testing when i put new braided lines on the 10r later on when my cash flow increases.

thanks
anthony

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to open an old thread but i understand that if i want to use 300mm rotors on an 04 ZX6r that i will need the spacers and longer bolts. But if i use the factory 280mm rotors will work fine if i decide to upgrade to the ZX14 nissin calipers and MC?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Sorry to open an old thread but i understand that if i want to use 300mm rotors on an 04 ZX6r that i will need the spacers and longer bolts. But if i use the factory 280mm rotors will work fine if i decide to upgrade to the ZX14 nissin calipers and MC?
You understand correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts