Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week at summit my brother started to complain that his brakes were sticking. From what he told me he would go into turn one and when he would release the brakes they still felt like they were grabing. At the track we did what we could, changed brake fluid, cleaned the calipers and pistons. But the problem presisted on and off through out the day. At the end of the day we were talking to one of the techs and he told me another guy on an 636 was having the same problem.

Anyone riding 05-06 zx6s that have experienced this problem, is there a fix for it? BTW his bike is a 05 zx6rr

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
interesting...never had any issues with the brakes,EXCEPT the rotors needed a good scrubbing with a 3m pad after about 900 miles.
thats when i decided to really hammer the bike, braking and use of the motor.
since then multiple track days and road miles no issues

how much pad is left?
just something to check maybe pistons coming out to far and not wanting to come back in...also is the 6RR using the same pad compund as the 6R?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Piece of advice:

If brakes are sticking, DO NOT ride the bike on the track. Though I kinda doubt they were sticking. The usual thing that happens then is the fluid QUICKLY overheats and boils and the brakes seize.

Check the brake lever and see if it is an aftermarket lever that is putting ever so slight pressure on the master cylinder and not releasing the last couple mm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My friend just had same problem with '05 zx6, locked up tight. Tried multiple bleeding still sticking. Replaced master with a used Brembo, problem solved.

·
Registered
634 Posts
^ maybe he just needed a new lever ( it would take too long for me to explain why) but the brembo is the shit anyhow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
had the bike fallen down or crashed, sometimes after a crash on the master cylinder it will damage the piston inside allowing fluid on both sides of the pistion causing hydro lock!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah any excuse to get a brembo:D But seriously, if the brake is sticking, what I know from wrenching on cars more than bikes, if the pistons in the caliper are moving freely then more than likely the check return valve is not letting the fluid return back into the master cylinder, thus causing a one way build up of pressure in the system at the caliper.

·
Registered
220 Posts
dude... i had the same problem... I would hit the brakes they would then start to gradually come to a lock happend to me at summit earlier in the year. Easy fix... get a new lever. I tried everything your talking about bleed the brakes lines what have you its someting with the lever dont know just change the lever your problem will be solved

·
Registered
13 Posts
brake problem is a weak return spring in the master, i did my own r+d and the problem is the spring, you can dis-assemble and stretch the factory spring by about 10 mm and the problem goes away, this problem always occurs after bleeding the brakes. the weak spring is compressed and never regains full length. i put a brembo on it after knowing want caused the "ghost" braking problem, (why chance it coming back.) any questions i can be reached at 412-931-0669

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.