Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so yesterday it was 68 and sunny so naturally I had to go for a ride. As Im going I start noticing that my shifter is getting looser and looser so I look down and one of the rearset bolts had vibrated out. Luckily I was about a mile away from a stealership so I had to ride there in 1st the whole way.

The point of this thread comes now.

My front brake has been squeaking a lot lately and when the mechanic pushed my bike around back to fit another bolt he asked if my brake has always been like that and said it was "spongie"

Anyone heard that before and know if it maybe needs some maintenance?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I bet you need to change the fluid. Also check the condition of the pads. And now would be a perfect time to upgarde to ss lines if you dont have them already.

How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
spongy could mean you have air in your brake lines. try bleeding them and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mileage is at 7760 I bought it at like 6800 and they changed the fluid right before I took her home. How would I check the brake pads?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
if the guy is used to feeling bikes with steel lines, OEM rubber could feel spongy. But, as mentioned, bleed them, do one side, then the other, repeat...if there are bubbles they did a shitty job, or the master cylinder has issues.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The mileage is at 7760 I bought it at like 6800 and they changed the fluid right before I took her home. How would I check the brake pads?
well if theyre OEM then they have little grooves in em to tell you how much life they have left. narrower the grove - less life. u may have a bit of air in your lines so bleed the brakes. If u personally think the brakes are fine just go with that. there are a lot of mechanics out there looking to make a buck on your paranoia

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Alright so yesterday it was 68 and sunny so naturally I had to go for a ride. As Im going I start noticing that my shifter is getting looser and looser so I look down and one of the rearset bolts had vibrated out. Luckily I was about a mile away from a stealership so I had to ride there in 1st the whole way.

The point of this thread comes now.

My front brake has been squeaking a lot lately and when the mechanic pushed my bike around back to fit another bolt he asked if my brake has always been like that and said it was "spongie"

Anyone heard that before and know if it maybe needs some maintenance?
For sure what everyone said. Bleed your breaks.
If you don't have SS Lines already, get you a pair, BEFORE you take the time to bleed your rubber lines.

What year is your bike.?
How many miles on the pads .?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts