Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just been bouncing back here over and over looking for answers to questions about my zzr250 so I registered just now. I'm from Boston, lived in Cali and various countries over the past 7 years and now am living in Sydney Australia. My first bike was a CB550 and just now I got a '95 ZZR250. My gal wants to learn to ride so I got this bike for her to learn on and for me to cruise to the beach and around the area. Thats all for now PARTY on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Already did a bit of a build writeup so here it is:

Part 1
Anyway...years later, I've been wanting to get a bike again and was living in LA (the worst/most dangerous place to ride) so I kept holding off. Lately my gal has been wanting to learn to ride as well so I suddenly started scouting hard for a good option. I was looking at a BMW R75 cause I love og beemer bikes but it was a bit too big for a smaller sized female, illegal for an L plater, and a long hike away to pickup. Next I found a promising looking Kawasaki ZZR250 which was mechanically sound but cosmetically a bit rough. It also checked off the boxes the other bike failed and it was cheap!. Plus nothing I have stays stock anymore so rough body is perfect project material. Plan is simple. Strip it down a bit, lose the 90s Miami Vice stylings (I've got a soft spot for those days but not lookin to rock that style every day and get extra cheesy attention), clean it up, make it classy and unique, teach my lady to ride, get myself a quicker bike :mrgreen:
I got this Thursday this week and so far have stripped it down to engine and frame. It will be a quick build process as I want to ride asap! I'll repaint the tank and frame, make a new battery box, tuck all the electronics, get new lights, indicators, and mirrors, etc...not chopping the seat just yet as I want to keep it 2 rider capable till I have a second bike. Enough blah blah blah heres some pics. I'll try to get more clear ones as I build but it's inside now so the lighting sux.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 2

Done some stripping, sanding, painting, reconstruction, bought a few things. Goal was to finish up in 1 week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part 3

So in 1 week I completed the transformation with the excption of my mirrors not arriving yet...here's what I added:

Grips
Front and rear indicators
Zodiac Speedo (cable isn't working so I need a new one)
Headlight + Brackets
De-tabbed the rear frame
Front fender

And we're off!!

Still need to do a weld on the exhaust and heat wrap it. Also may change the tail light one day. But I'm off to do a first ride and some welding now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So that was my quick build on it. Unfortunately the and we're off part didn't go as smoothly :/ the bike went fine for a couple short (like 10 minute short) rides but then began having a hard time holding an idle. I also heat wrapped the exhaust and started having popping sounds so I though it must be leaning out from the increased exhaust flow speeds. I took it back to the workshop and took off the wrap but the issues persisted. It ran a bit better but not smooth and didn't want to idle without the choke on...

Also started bogging down and not getting power and the throttle response suffered a lot.

Now the bike had been garaged for about 6 months so I have done the following:
- drain the fuel tank completely and add fresh high octane gas
- check the breather line to the tank (it's clear)
- check the inline fuel filter (it was flowing fine)
- drain the float bowls - nothing came out...so
- Remove and clean carbys - I opened and cleaned everything. Not much nasty stuff in there surprisingly but not it's quite clean
- check the fuel feed (it was blocked so I pressurized it and it cleared up)

After putting everything back together I though I should be good to go. Still had trouble getting idle...ended up warming it up proper and adjusting the idle setting and it would hold w/out the choke so I tried to ride it home.

Results:
- getting a really loud kinda growling sound up front when revving over around 6000rpm
- also getting no power after 6000rpm
- very little torque and very little power so something is wrong and I'm all out of ideas for what it is. The bike made it home but feels very under powered. I'm hoping someone has a few good ideas or suggestions before I take it to a mechanic.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and work on cars regularly (I drift so I'm constantly working on my cars) but I haven't worked on any bikes until last week.

I've searched and can't find any similar circumstances so I'm putting my scenario up here for reflection sake. Only ideas I have left are change spark plugs :(... help please!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check the jets if u r losing power over 6k it will be the main jets..make sure they r clear..and a popping sound? My guess is yea its lean . The wrap i wouldnt think would make it run better or worse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. It now smells very rich. The exhaust smells like fresh petrol even...I cleaned all the jets very well and the entire carb so I don't think I have any blocks...really not too sure what's going on so sadly I'm going to a mechanic and see what's the story. Hopefully something simple I'm missing.

I've heard that good exhaust wrap can lean out a bike especially if it's already lean. The good ones really increase the exhaust temps and speed of flow.

Anyway tomorrow I should have a better idea. I tried my best on my own but there's too many factors for me to narrow it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up stopping at a couple shops to have a quick chat with the mechanics. First guys said I had what sounded like a big vacuum leak and better find that first and then they said they could check the valve clearances...

Second shop was a bit more mellow and said I should have a look at how I reinstalled the carbs and see where air might be leaking.

I did have a poke around and now it's running a bit better but still really lacks response and feels very slow...struggles to keep speed up mild hills. Not cool but somewhat rideable.

After having a bit of a think about it, I think my initial problems were from a fuel blockage which I fixed. Having fixed that however, I may have done one of 2 things when putting the carbs back on

1. not tightened the air box-carb hoses properly allowing an air leak or caused some other leak

2. I adjusted the idle mix screws to 2.5 turns from full lock. This could have messed thing up yes?

Any input would be helpful as I think I can get it going good but I'm missing something :/

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts