Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever followed the break-In procedures? I was always told break it in how you normally ride, is this true?

·
Registered
486 Posts
If I ever had a new bike (which probably will never happen)....I would give it a moderate break in...some full throttle, but not above 8-10K RPMs.

That's my opinion. I don't believe lugging a new engine is good, nor is beating on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i rode it how i normaly ride i just changed the oil at 300miles and just did a recent oil change today at 1400. ill be following the normal oil changes now around 2500-3000miles.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
When I worked as a Motorcycle Tech., I ALWAYS told people to break it in the same way you are going to ride it. I also suggested they buy the extended warranty;) For me personally, I bought a new 636 right out of the crate and was doing 1st gear power wheelies on my way home from the dealership. All I can suggest is ride it however you want, it's YOUR bike.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My break-in suggestions are:
- Don't lug it
- Don't abuse it
- Vary the RPMs all the time (no cruising at the same RPM on a highway)
- Occasional short, hard blasts of acceleration and hard engine braking are good (after the engine is warmed up)

I spent most of my break-in period between 5K and 10K RPM. Did a 300+ mile ride home from the dealer, changed the oil, did another 300+ mile day ride the next weekend. Changed the oil again around 600 miles and basically considered the bike broken in at that point. Did a couple more 300+ mile day rides and changed the oil yet again at about 1200 miles. I switched to synthetic at around 2500 miles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tried to follow the breakin but it was impossible on the highway = at 4k = 48mph no way after 100 miles i took it to 6k = 72mph and max at 7k until 600 miles service. It was very hard to follow that breakin requirements.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My break in consisted of varying RPMS for the 20mile ride home, no more than 6k on backroads. Then the next day redlined a couple times, rest of the time easy but still varying.

Every day i took it to red more and more, by 600miles i drive how i want.

If you take an engine and run it easy for 50,000 miles... Then sell it to a teen who rags on it every day, then the engine will give up soon after. However if that engine had been run hard from day one, it will hold up better to the abuse.

·
Registered
391 Posts
for the first 500 miles, or until your first oil change, nothing over 10k RPM and vary the RPM's. then, after 500 miles, ride it they way you are going to ride it. redline, under 6K, whatever.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
[:Agree]
Dont let the engine labour either (low revs/ high gear).
Dont use fully sytnh either as it can impede the bedding in process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.