Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what break in process I should follow after installing new front brake pads. I installed a set of Galfer HH pads. There are no indications on the packaging as to any sort of brake in process, so I figured I would ask here. Like any certain amount of mileage I should wait before hitting the brakes harder than normal?

I am used to seating pads on cars, just not sure if the same theory applies to bikes. The bike only has 2500 miles on it so it's the first time I have had to change out the pads. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

-Matt

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?????

·
Registered
295 Posts
On my last trackday, I too had a brand new set of Galfer HH pads to break-in but coincidentally I also had a brand new set of rubber to break-in so I spent the first 3 laps doing both. I avoided trail braking, started off my braking into a corner by gradually increasing the amount I grab during each braking zone. By the 2nd lap of the 2nd session of the day, they were squealing like a bus and I knew everything was ready.

I wasn't sure about buying the Galfer's but the price point was right and I'm very happy I did get them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
fwiw, I put Galfer HH pads on two bikes this year. On both bikes the pads continually overheated and caused big brake chatter problems. I had the rotors resurfaced and tried again. To make a long story short I ruined two sets of rotors and the only way I could get smooth brakes back was to replace the rotors and go with the Vesrah pads. I will eat a mac truck grill before I use galfer pads again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my last trackday, I too had a brand new set of Galfer HH pads to break-in but coincidentally I also had a brand new set of rubber to break-in so I spent the first 3 laps doing both. I avoided trail braking, started off my braking into a corner by gradually increasing the amount I grab during each braking zone. By the 2nd lap of the 2nd session of the day, they were squealing like a bus and I knew everything was ready.

I wasn't sure about buying the Galfer's but the price point was right and I'm very happy I did get them.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I havent had a chance to get the bike out to break in the pads (thanks to the damn rain) but I have put some miles on my new tire and it is definitely a little squirly (sp?) in some cases. In turns it grips awesomely, but on ruff patches of road it will surprise you.

-Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.