Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today i have 10,000 miles on my 6 month old bike and wonder how long this engine is going to last. I did not break it in great well pretty shitty acutally. i remember with 26 miles on the OD i was riding the hell out of wheelies and i took it to the track with little over 350 miles LOL engine hurt?

How many of you really followed the break in procedure?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I followed the Cycle World break-in procedure, which is like a more gradual version of the motoman break-in. I took mine to a trackday with around 600 miles on it (slow group [:I]).

I don't know how long your engine would last, but it seems that your break-in is similar to motoman's. So it might be ok assuming motoman is right and assuming you've been changing the oil promptly. Maybe you could do us a favor by letting us know how your motor goes so we know whether it's good to use the motoman break-in. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
So after you hit 26 miles, you were riding it as if it were already broken in? If so it'd be interesting to see how long it lasted.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I kept it ubder 6000 for the first 600 miles ... many people here have just got into right out the door and I have yet to hear of any ill effects

·
Registered
246 Posts
Motoman break-in is not the mainstream way to do it, but the way it is explained it kinda makes sense, so I guess you could look at it in a sense that there is no wrong way to do it, you just chose another way to break it in. If you are really worried about your engine, give it a dyno test. If your HP is where it should be or exceeds it, the engine should last a long time.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
At the rate you are going I would say your bike has four or five good years left with proper maintenance. Most bikes are totaled way before the engine gives up.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah, you bike should get atleast 75k miles on it as long as you do the proper maintenence....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.