Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that break in period really important for a new bike. What happens if you don't adhere to it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
man...lol...search for this topic. I bought my 636 last week and adhered to the break-in from Kawasaki for 300 miles. It's hard to do 45 for 350 miles. After reading some of the post here last saturday and talking to some experience rider's i knew.....i opened it up and have never looked backed. The bike actually should be rode easy for the first 20 miles(50 miles to be on the safe side) but that's completely up to you. Break it in hard in my opinion.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by Fever
Is that break in period really important for a new bike. What happens if you don't adhere to it?
This topic can be debated very intelligently from both sides, you'll never get a solid answer. I choose the side that lets me play early, and run the piss out of 'em as soon as I can. Lots of hard acceleration and compression-braking to really seat the rings, it's always worked for me -- and I got to power-wheelie my bike the day I got it, where the folks that follow the manual have to wait 1000 miles :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
General Idea:

Harder Break in = more power = shorter engin life
Softer Break in = less power = longer engin life

THe trick I believe is to vary the rpm's. Burst wide open, ebngine break ride one pace, fast again, slow try and pop a wheelie, slow fast, enigne break etc etc. Getting the first miles on in town works best, lots of stops and goes.

I decided to lean more to hard break in. So what if I get 5K less k's, then I rebuild the engin in 7 years time , DUH!

I occasionally took mine to just above 10K RPM for short bursts, Spent most of my time between 5K and 8K.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I bought my bike used with 258 miles on it. Babied it for about 20 miles, talked to a local shop that I trust the mechanics (hard for me to do and I do all my own work), now I ride it like I would normally. I dont bounce it off the rev limiter tho, and take it to redline just for a sec. Changed oil and filter @ 300 and 600, next change will be at 1200 to 1500 and then every 3000 there after. 940 miles on the bike now, runs like a champ and getting stronger by the mile.

Just ride it sane, don't bounce off the limiter and change the oil and filter at the specified intervals.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Everybody has their own opinions on this and actually sticking to the break in sucks. I toughed it out. These bikes cost $8500 and if you've got it lying around then I'd say ride it however you want but it's a ton of money for me so I figured better safe than sorry. I didn't want to break it in real soft and I wanted to smile every now and then so I would spike the rpm in little bursts here and there but overall pretty much stuck to manufacturer recommendations. I think unless you blow your motor after redlining it with 10 miles on it, it's hard to prove how important the break in is either way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.