Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike, and so its the first bike im breakin in. The way i ride, i use the brakes very, very little, and therefor use the engine brake a lot. Is this bad during the break in? I mean, should i just pull in the clutch and brake instead?

2003 Candy Lightning Blue ZX-6R
"Burn rubber, not your soul."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I was told by someone at my dealship that I should definately avoid engine braking until after the break-in period.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Theres a section at www.zx6r.com
I would use the breaks more than the clutch to break in the beginning. But as you put more miles you can use the clutch more and more. But only after breaking it in.
Don't go 40 and use the clutch in 1st gear to slow down.
Your baby is brand new. Run it a little but don't beat it.

Drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
ImportRacer140,

You can safely use engine braking during break-in. When you do, take care that the revs not exceed the guidelines of the break-in procedure of your choice.

If you are looking for a procedure, check out the big-name tuner article.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i wouldn't think engine braking would be any harder on your engine than revving it right? I mean can someone give me a proven reason engine braking is hard on the bike? I mean these bikes are built to run at high RPMs..engine braking at lets say 7-10k shouldn't hurt right?

i mean I engine brake alot...and really dont want to stop....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Rob Lee, I was just gonna say that i don't shift down to first while goin 40 mph or something. I'm still under 500 miles, so I never exceed 4000 rpm while accelerating or decelerating. For example, if I'm goin 40 in 6th at 3 or 4000 rpm or so, ill slow to 2000 rpm or so, then shift down to 5th, then again slow to 2000 rpm or so, then shift down to 4th, etc. That should be ok, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lately, i've been trying to use the engine break less. I have a question though. Let's say im goin 20 mph. I pull in the clutch and am slowing down with the brake. With the clutch pulled in i downshift all the way to first, but while im still rolling, lets say at 10 mph, i notice a sound that i dont hear in other gears (with the clutch still pulled in obviously). Although i might have heard it the tiniest bit in second. As i slow though to a stop. the sound goes away. The sound is kind of a pulsating grind, but doesnt really sound bad. Does anyone know where the sound could be coming from and if its normal or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.