Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up my long awaited '09 250r ninja yesterday. While I am not mechanically inclined simply because i have spent very little time doing it, i am even less so w/ motorcycles. This is my first one, i have had it for almost 24 hours, and have put ~70 miles on it, doing the 4k rpm break-in. I have noticed though that my speed and tach reading (while in 6th) vary greatly (5-6 mph). There is no incline/decline, flat surface, w/ minuscule wind change. What could be going on? Answers anyone? anyone experienced the same thing? :confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did, perhaps i wasnt putting key words in. not sure... ill keep looking though. trust me. Found it... I guess i'll call my dealer tomorrow about it. Didn't find exactly what the igniter was on there, so what is it? Anyway, we'll see i guess. Anyone actually do the 500 mile break-in @4k? because its sucking right now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I didn't. I made sure I was good and warm before a ride, and I wasn't tough on it for a long time. Don't go WOT, and don't beat on a cold engine. In general, I kept my engine under 7k, and for the most part I was usually around 5-6k. I engine brake lots.

That said, there are hundreds of different opinions about proper break-in. I am not going to say that mine is right, only that the engine pulls fine and has little(Imperceptible) oil consumption, so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure someone knows better than me, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i think i may actually have the same problem on my 08 250. Usually when it runs for a while and gets hot i get about 30 at 4000 rpm instead of 36 or so i get when starting to ride it. I haven't been able to get any answers as I took it to the service center and they had no idea what i was talking about. The bike tech rode it and said there was nothing wrong with it and bring it back if it gets worse. I dont think the break-in really had anything to do with it as I followed the 4k break in guideline for a few hundred miles then started taking it to bout 6k till i got to 500. I didnt start taking it on the freeways or nethin till 750 miles tho. Its got about 1100 miles on it now and still has the problem. But yeah as far as I can tell it may just be an inconsistency in the rpm gauge.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you dont follow the break in procedure you may consider changing the oil a few times before the recommended 600 mile mark.
There is a lot of debate on this topic as well (so search for the threads) but I sort of, but then didn't really follow the break in. I changed my oil & filter every 100 miles for the first 600 though...so take it for what you will....

Just noticed you location - Let me know if you need help with anything "mechanical" since you're in DFW. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts