Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did my first 40 street miles on my new Bridgestone 090 110/140 tires. I bought them for Barbers on the 6th and put them on early to get the new feel. My first feel coming out of the sub-division was OMFG! That very first corner the tire gripped the road and forced the handlebars straight, but turned just like the original BT45. Several more turns later I found the feeling very confidence inspiring.

As I got to the road where the twisties are, the fun began. I took it easy for the first couple of tight sweepers, but it seem the harder I pushed out of the corners the more the tire wanted to grip. I got up to my normal twisty speed within the first 15 minutes; the bike felt like it was on rails. The new tires gave me plenty of road feel I never got with my stockers. That feel of the handlebars straightening in a turn never left, I just got used to it. I was able to take curves at the same speed with less lean angle and by giving very small inputs on the handlebars.

I stopped at the end of the road, and checked the tire temp with my hand. They were hot, like the feel of a freely toasted bagel. This I thought was good, because that means I won’t have to by tire warmers for the track.

On the way back I caught a good bit of rain, (tropical storm Fay... band). I figured it may be too soon to push the tire in the wet so I knocked off about 30%. The tires felt very good in the rain. They didn’t slip, and still felt like the rode was dry.

I will keep this updated as I go. After today the BT090’s are not just going to be my track tire, but the tire I run all the time.

I have one question for those of you who already use them. What pressure do you use? I am 38/38 street and will use 35/35 on the track. I used to run 28/30 on the stockers for both.

A couple of quick details:
Size Front: 110/17
Size Rear: 140/17
Tire Pressure: 38/38
Cost: 258.00 (Not shipped I picked them up)
Source: Stickboy Racing http://www.stickboyracing.com/

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
thanks for your feedback. I've been wondering how these tires would do on the street. thanks for answering that question and looking forward to future inputs about these tires.

isn't 38/38 a bit high?

:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually thought it was high, but the guy that put them on recommended it, hence the question. I am looking for another opinion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
cool... (no pun intended). I run 27/27 in the stock tires and am happy with he overall feel of the bike with those pressures. I thought maybe the construction of the 090s required higher pressures to operate properly.

Yeah, to me 38/38 sounded ridiculously high. I don't think I could ride the bike with the tires at those numbers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys I will knock it down to 30/30 cold and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
A good trick i was told was to check your cold pressure, then recheck the hot pressure after a session. The tires will go up about 5 psi from cold to hot when your pressure is correct for the track conditions.

Agreed, 38/38 is way to high for the track. try 28/28 and then check the pressure once warmed up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I'm wondering if you're still using these tires, what you decided on for tire pressure, etc. I've decided to get some new tires (still running stock), and since these were recommended in Sport Rider when they outfitted the 250 for the track, I thought they sounded like decent tires. Any more info on them would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I did my first 40 street miles on my new Bridgestone 090 110/140 tires. I bought them for Barbers on the 6th and put them on early to get the new feel. My first feel coming out of the sub-division was OMFG! That very first corner the tire gripped the road and forced the handlebars straight, but turned just like the original BT45. Several more turns later I found the feeling very confidence inspiring.

As I got to the road where the twisties are, the fun began. I took it easy for the first couple of tight sweepers, but it seem the harder I pushed out of the corners the more the tire wanted to grip. I got up to my normal twisty speed within the first 15 minutes; the bike felt like it was on rails. The new tires gave me plenty of road feel I never got with my stockers. That feel of the handlebars straightening in a turn never left, I just got used to it. I was able to take curves at the same speed with less lean angle and by giving very small inputs on the handlebars.

I stopped at the end of the road, and checked the tire temp with my hand. They were hot, like the feel of a freely toasted bagel. This I thought was good, because that means I won’t have to by tire warmers for the track.

On the way back I caught a good bit of rain, (tropical storm Fay... band). I figured it may be too soon to push the tire in the wet so I knocked off about 30%. The tires felt very good in the rain. They didn’t slip, and still felt like the rode was dry.

I will keep this updated as I go. After today the BT090’s are not just going to be my track tire, but the tire I run all the time.

I have one question for those of you who already use them. What pressure do you use? I am 38/38 street and will use 35/35 on the track. I used to run 28/30 on the stockers for both.

A couple of quick details:
Size Front: 110/17
Size Rear: 140/17
Tire Pressure: 38/38
Cost: 258.00 (Not shipped I picked them up)
Source: Stickboy Racing StickboyRacing.com
Jesus bro! How much do you weigh, 38/38 street? Makes me wonder if I'm running mine too low. I've been varying between 27/27 and 30/30 for the street. I did up them last night tho to 37/37 because I had someone on the back with me :bigrin:

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Way high. I run 30/30 on the street and around 25/25 on the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts