Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the bolt that holds front seat bracket (the one you need to remove in order to remove the front seat) well kawi mech guy tightened it too much so when I tried to unscrew it the head of the bolt just twisted off. So now I have the head in my hand the rest of it in the bike.
What really sux is that I can't ride now, the seat is not attached to the bike.
What's the best way to get it out? I had some ideas, but don't wanna do anything else (stupid).

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
57 Posts
you could try using a dremel to grind a grove at the top so you can screw it out with a flathead screwdriver.

You keep campaining for that ass-whooping you might get elected

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I would guess that the moron cross-threaded the bolt to cause it to break. Is there any of the bolt sticking out? If there is any of the bolt sticking out you can sometimes use a pair of visegrips to latch on to it and back it out. If not you will have to go the easy-out route which requires drilling a hole in the bolt and using an easy-out to back the broken part out. Do yourself a favor and buy a cobalt bit to drill the hole. The easy-out come in two flavors, four sided and reverse screw type. I like the four sided one personally, but . . . You will buy the easy-out to match the drill bit size.

After you get it out you will likely need to chase the threads with a tap of the appropriate size. I think the buykawasaki.com site give the size and pitch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I used an e-z out to get the broken screw out and replaced it with a 10mm bolt...easier to get on and off than the screw was. You are going to have go get the e-z out though no way around it.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
As an after thought. You can ride the bike with the broken bolt unless you make a habit of standing up while the bike is in motion. The only risk is that someone would nick your seat while it is parked, but how would they know.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The sears damaged screw set is by FAR the best tool to have. GO get that and that nasty bolt will be out in 10 seconds. I think it cost me about $19 and it came with about 5 or 6 differnt sizes

With great freedom, comes great responsibility.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my dad [8D] he may have something like that, save me $20. I was thinking about going to the dealer and kicking some ass! And make them deal with it, but I guess it's better to preserve that loving relationship *they* work so hard at maintaining. I will still have to go there for a new screw :( part number 130J0610 BOLT-FLANGED. :(

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
59 Posts
I cant believe youve just asked that question i did the same thing last week after fitting my undertray, This is what i did i took a drill bit of 6mm diamiter and gently inserted on the spot of where the cap head bolt would have been and started to drill with a steady pressure applied this started to turn the rest of the threaded nut shaft out of the hole when i had enough of the shaft to grab with pliers or simlar tool i just unscrewed it the rest of the way by hand.
Hope this is of some use to you if the worse comes to the worst you could always drill and tap it out to another size this would work as well this was my intention but the remainder of the bolt moved.

Cheers

FTP

IF YOU NOT RIDING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So where did you go for the new bolt? Kawi dealer sux, never have anything in stock, and want insane $ for even a little item. Got new windscreen, needed some well nuts. At the dealer they want $6 per nut! zx6r has 6 (I think) 6*6=$36 + tax USD
Sorry for unrelated comment, I still can’t get over it.
:(

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
59 Posts
No way man this is only a 10mm stud you can get one of these from anyplace chill out man the bolt dosn,t have to have kawaaki stamped on it to do the same job, HAVE ALOOK THROUGH YOUR OLD MANS NUT AND BOLT BOX...

FTP

IF YOU NOT RIDING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.