Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating on switching for some time and finally did after my last race which a saved 2 highsides. I cannot stand the new BT002 Pro. I have been working with it for 2 months+ and just can't get the stupid things to work like the old one. Plus every time a race winner comes in you see he's on Dunlops. That alone takes a toll. So anyways after taking tire measurements I found the Dunlop rear slick to be 5mm(radius) taller and the front to be .6mm taller. Then I made the geometry changes to counter the tires. Here's the problem, I never had a issue with the front end before but these Dunlops bring out vicious head shake. I will probly have the problem solved by the end of next Saturdays practice but if not I will crawl back to Bridgstone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if the headshake is coming about in high speed areas, it is probably do to the fact the the rear tire grows at high speeds. thus making the trail shorter making the chassis unstable.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
195/70 rear and no. Good call Yamahamer. It wasn't happening under high speed but it was under acceleration. Part of my fix for increasing trail when I put the taller tire on was moving the axle back because I wanted to increase stability. Doing this added leverage to the swing arm causing a lower ride height and faster sitting, bringing up the front under accel. So I added one click rear compression bringing correct ride height and slowing the extra leverage. Then took out a click of front rebound to reduce bounce. Problem solved as far as I can tell for doing this on side streets. But when I get to the track it could a whole new story.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Click in of rebound, sorry. And I know preload changes ride height but so will low speed compression to a dagree. I started with four and move back one click at a time. I use to run 30mm in the rear and now 32mm. The reason I didn't just use my hydralic preload is because I wanted to slow down the sit first and it fixed the ride hieght in the process. Anyway take three clicks out of compression if you have a Ohlins and I garantee it will change your ride height.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah I did that. And don't get me wrong I would normaly agree with what you said about 1 click not making a difference, too. But it is what it is. I started with for clicks then moved back to one(regarding the sitting). Then when I went to add preload (which was only 2mm off @34) I checked height again and it was in range. Stiction might be the answer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Dunolps work great. Broke personal best track times by a second on my 2nd session out. Then when it came to race, something went wrong. My front forks started bottoming on braking. So I couldn't hit my brake markers and my time sucked. I got passed for the lead in the 2nd lap followed the leader as best I could. I should of just took second but my competitive edge got the better of me. I went down in the last lap trying to make a pass stick while my front tire was skipping across the road. Bike needs fixing and I won 2 broken ribs and a out of whack shoulder.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Stoked you got the Dunlops working right, I too run Dunlops and love them. Sorry to hear about your crash, hopefully the bike's in OK shape and those ribs heal up soon! I know how you feel, my wrist is still broken from getting cut off in a race in August, so everything got put on hold until I can get a job and start fixing the bike. Not sure how many races you had left in the season but at least you'll have the off season to heal and fix the bike!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just two races left so I will take the next couple off. Because it was suppose to be my last rookie race before my points auto bumped me to expert, I now get to start next season as a rook and get to compete for rookie of the year. So I think I will motard out my crf450 and race against the ex500s or sell it to get a 650R.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done rebuilding the bike after the crash. Had to straighten the frame([email protected] head) & swing arm(7mm twist). It was probably a good thing because it forced me to go through the whole bike, lubed all bearings, changed paint color(Ferrari Yellow), plugs, flush radiator, flushed forks with new seals and bushings, feels better than brand new. I can't wait to get back on the track this weekend. Although I still have two broken ribs.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Originally posted by heith<br> . Plus every time a race winner comes in you see he's on Dunlops. That alone takes a toll.
Where?
WSMC last weekend Rapp on the Attack bike won the 600 races on Pirelli. Pfeifer (riding the Advanced Kawasaki ZX6RR, and ZX10 thankyouverymuch), finished right behind him on Pirelli's(turning some low .23's on the 600), and also thouroughly dominated F1(turning some high .21's and low .22's), and Open SS also on Pirelli's. Dale Kieffer got second in F1 on Michelins.
My other rider (Robbie Dowie) will be testing Pirelli and Michelin this weekend on our superbike
I personally have problems with dunlop at slight lean angles. The bike wags more than I like. Whether it's from the triangulated profile or the carcass, I don't know. I run the Mich PRC front with a triangulated profile, and have no issues

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do your riders pick up that wag off turn 6 going into 7 because I picked a wag there after I installed Dunlops? I think in the up coming years Pirelli will dominate the tires regular joes can buy. Do to the fact they are the only tire company testing for an entire season(WSBK)using non handmade tires. Dunlop, Mich, and Bridgestone hand make special tires for there special teams made with special rubber that can't be mass produced. That in no way resemble the tires they sell. While Pirelli has to produce enough tires for several paddocks and can't hand make them to meet supply demands, so they are devoloping mass produced tires that will closer resemble the tires we can buy. I know your basically telling me not to put all my eggs in one basket and I won't. I will continue to test. Thanks for the wag thing too... I thought I just needed to play with geometry to get it out. And you could have let me know if my bike looks good.

·
Registered
659 Posts
heith-- the bike looks great!!! I really like the yellow and white with black accents. I'm sure it feels good to know the bike is in tip top shape. Let us know how things go when you get it back on the track.

I'm doing the same to my bike, as I had to have my swingarm straightened also. Miraculously, my frame neck was flawless aside from the steering head bearings but I still took the whole bike apart to get it checked. Right now its getting motor and dyno work done and then the bodywork goes back on, it'll be green for me. Anyway, your bike looks great!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, post some pics when it's complete.I was going with green but I saw a Ferrari on the freeway and thought "I like that yellow". Although the yellow looks better on the car. Hey, Kevin I also forgot to thank you for the Dr. John thing. So thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.