·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...So I bought this off someone on Ebay and it arrived broken

So one option I was thinking about was to just round off the tip. like so:
Before:

After:

Have any of you done this at some point and how did you do it? Is there a special tool I should use to round it off?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Why don't you try to get your money back, or file a claim against the courier? Sorry about your bad luck[B)]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Na. I really don't want to file a claim. I've been through that and it took about 3 months to get my damn money. Plus the item wasn't insured so I don't think there's much I can do. It actually doesn't bother me. I just don't want to put it on there looking broken. I'd rather have that edge smoothed out.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
dont use a dremel. use rough grain sand paper and work your way down two grades. thats the best, safest, cleanest way.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not a dremmel? Is it because it will eat away at it?
Any suggestions as to what number sandpaper?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the dremel will melt away the abs really fast. it will also leave some extra hanging off that you will need to get of with sandpaper. im going to run out to my work truck to find the paper grades. BRB;)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
ok, start with 100 grit to form the shape. the 150 to finsh it off. you can buy something smoother to finishit off, but you can rub two pices of 150 together and that will make it smoother.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
just use platic weld and stick that piece back on, sand it down smooth primer and paint. just like new.:D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by kelvin
just use platic weld and stick that piece back on, sand it down smooth primer and paint. just like new.:D
Ditto that.... you'll never know it was f'ed up to begin with as it's so far down on the bike

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
use plumber goop and glue it back on. no need to get a soldering iron and its cheaper with the goop.

unless you dont want to pain the whole fairing, just sand it;)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had the money to paint the fairing I wouldn't be trying to do this. I think I'll go with arturo's sanding method.
Just out of curiosity, anyone now how much it would cost to paint all the fairings?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
its a guy here in sierra vista that will paint all the fairings and the tank for 300 bucks and he does a good job.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got a quote from an auto body place here saying they paint each part for $55 but for that little piece, I'll so some sanding.

I just wanna get my bike out on the street again. This is killing me[V]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I saw that. Thanks.
I don't think I'll be sending it back. I paid $75 for it and got the rest of the parts I needed already. Except *ahem* for the rearset Ash still owes me.
I guess this is a lesson for all you who buy through Ebay. PUT INSURANCE ON THE PACKAGE!:(

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I would definitely not sand it off. You wouldn't even need to use any fancy bonding methods since there would be no stress on that piece due to the screw hole being before the break. Super Glue would even do the trick. And, if you can't afford to paint it and there is a noticeable break line after the fix, then you could always find a small decal to place over the line so it couldn't be seen.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by speedvlaze
Super Glue would even do the trick.
Doesn't super glue make it all white?
And, if you can't afford to paint it and there is a noticeable break line after the fix, then you could always find a small decal to place over the line so it couldn't be seen.
Anyone have an R1 sticker?:D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Superglue comes in several varieties, but its not really relevant because the glue would be in the crack, not spread over the plastic you see...
For some extra support you could even spend $5 at your local automotive store and get some fiberglass cloth to put on the inside of the fairing, but the superglue, or better yet, plasic/abs weld (which does not require a welder or soldering iron, its just a special glue for plastic).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.