Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some a..hole tried to steal my bike and put a knife into the ignition, i no of the bolts on the bottom but how do u get to them w/o taking off the triple tree, i see screws on the side of it, what are they for.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Pretty sure the top triple has to come off. The screws may just be access to the base plate or some wiring on the switch itself.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
The screws just hold the outer waterproof casing on. You'll have to pull the upper triple, this can be done without lifting the front wheel off the ground. Simply remove the upper triple nut, then loosen off the fork clamps. The clip ons are bolted to the underside of the triple clamp, remove those two bolts (there will be a tiny washer on each side do not drop this as you'll never find it again). Then wiggle the triple until it comes off.

You will have to drill out the bolts holding the ignition in place because the bolts are designed to only be installed not removed, and you will have to get under the tank to unplug the ignition electrical connectors.

Sorry someone tried to steal your bike, that sucks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do i have to mark everything when taking off, like the upper triple tree nut, and also the clip on bolts

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
No, because you can only push it down so far. It would be good to have a torque wrench for the reinstall though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have the torque wrench, what is the torque on it, and also once i take it off will the front end turn so i can turn it straight

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i tried to take it off but i cant, when he fu... up the ignition it was n the lock position, i cant get the left clip on off, does anyone have any suggestions

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Hammer a large flat head screw driver into the ignition, put a set of vice grips on it and wrench it back into the unlocked position. You're replacing it anyways.

Why can't you get the left clipon off? Never mind, I just looked at my bike. Loosen off the large allen bolt that clamps the clipon to the fork, and then remove the clipon and upper triple as a single unit.

Honestly dude, if you're having this much trouble with just getting the upper triple off I'd just take the bike to the shop.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
^^^ what he said ^^^

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i got the left clip on off but i must be missing something to take off the tree, i see 2 washers underneath it, or do i not touch those, the tree would move alil a 3/16 of and inch but wont budge the rest of the way.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
You may need to gently tap it with a rubber mallet because the forks will be side loading it.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
The tank, as hard as you can.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I've given you step by step to this point and you can't get it done. Take the fucking thing to a shop already. Fuck... seriously... maybe you can swing by my place and I'll do it for you?

Here's what I want you to do. Walk back into your garage and look at your bike, look at the problem, look at what you need to get done. NOW, pretend there is a mean person standing behind you with a gun to your head. And he's threatening to shoot you if you don't solve the problem.

Now, SOLVE the problem, don't come on here asking obvious questions the second you run into a minor snag. Again, look at the job to be done, and the reason you're not getting it done. If you can't figure it out after everything I've told you, then you SHOULD NOT BE WORKING on the bike.

I take back the tank comment, aim for your forehead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts