Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How strong is the shifter? Towards the end of my ride today, it was really hard to get into 1st gear. When I parked back at my house, I sat and shifted from N to 1st over and over and about half the time, 1st wouldn't work. This is my first bike so I don't know which parts are more easy to break. I don't think it's my trans cuz every other gear worked fine. Not sure.....:confused:

·
Registered
389 Posts
You have to be moving to be able to properly shift through the gears.

Other details about the bike would also help.

1. year
2. milage
3. new or used?
4. has the bike ever been droped?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed, if the bike isnt running shifting will be harder. Also if you roll back while in neutral/first with the clutch in you will have problems shifting out of the gear. Just roll forward a bit until it lets you.

I would say it is fine just that your not used to it =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. 2008 (sexy black)
2. ~400 mi.
3. new
4. very gently laid down
I'll play with it some more tomorrow and see what's up. It could be what Xentroph said...

·
Registered
57 Posts
could be the oil but the doubtful with so few miles. With difficulty shifting into first at a full stop trying letting the clutch out some and then shifting down. I have this problem frequently when stationary. You'll probably lerch the first few times but you get a hang of how much clutch release is needed. Don't let it all the way out though.

Oh, and your shifter is not broken ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sometimes when you sitting in Neutral and you don't ever release the clutch lever the bike wont shift into first. So what you do is while sitting in neutral, let go of the clutch lever, then pull it back in and shift into first. That should work, if it sounds like what you're describing is what I think it is.

And whats your oil level like? Low levels of oil will affect your shifting.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My bike was harder to shift when it was brand new too. It takes a little time to break in. Plus, you only have a couple hundred miles before you need to do the first service anyway. Fresh oil might make a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts