Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my bike into the garage today to start doin some routine maint I've been neglecting. Pulled the reservoir for the coolant and drained it. After it all came out this booger slid out...
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1378733793.454106.jpg

I put some between my fingers and rubbed it around and it feels like lithium grease almost.
Smells kinda burnt-ish?

My fear is that it's oil. But I'm not certain.

Can anyone help me out here?

Also what is a good thing to use to clean out the reservoir? There seems to be more of this stuff clinging to the inside. Looks like maybe a few teaspoons total.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Pursebully
37,542 Posts
Has the coolant ever been flushed? If not, my bet is that it's the gunk that breaks loose (sealant) and is basically leftover from assembly. I think I found something similar the first time I ever flushed the coolant on my 04 RR.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
How is the engine oil?
You can use a 50/50 mix of regular white distilled vinegar and distilled water to clean it and then rinse with distilled water.

You might want to flush the whole system as well though:
Drain all of the old coolant, fill the system with the 50/50 mix of white distilled vinegar and distilled water, run the bike until warm, let cool, drain and then run clear water through to wash out the vinegar. It's the same idea as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to remove any scale or impurities, but not so harsh that it will harm your delicate seals and gaskets. (This is from Coolant Replacement Tips)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts