Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put BST Carbon wheels (front&rear)on a ZX12 today....we put the bike on the dyno before and after the wheels....
9HP gain!!!!!!!!

DAYYYYYYYYYYYYMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN!!!!!

These things are SWEET!!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, BIG bucks, but, some guys pays $2000 for motor work and get 4 HP......these are GORGEOUS wheels!!! If you get a chance to see them in person, PLEASE do me a favor and pick them up and look at the detail of machining done on them, absolutly BY FAR, the best I've ever seen, and I've seen them ALL!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, there is a power gain when you change your wheels. If your wheels are lighter, you therefore turn faster, therfore makeing your bike faster....
HP is HP,can't fake it on the model 250 dyno...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If I am not mistaken that is an inertial dyno. All horsepower reading on inertial dynos are suspect. Just like putting a lighter flywheel won't increase horsepower on your small block Chevy, putting lighter wheels on a sportbike won't either. It will cause the engine to rev faster much like going with a 520 chain conversion. That won't increase hp either.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
First off, I'd like to see those graphs. Any chance you could post 'em ???

Secondly, while lighter and better wheels will no doubt affect the driveability of a bike, they certainly DON'T add horsepower. They may affect a dyno reading slightly because of the lighter inertia / less rolling resistance, but it's false to say the bike has more horsepower now. More accurately, the bike is now better able to put the power it has down to the pavement. Yes Ash, you're right, if the wheels turn easier, the bike gets power down better, but HP IS HP, and wheels do not affect the amount of horsepower a bike produces directly.

And by the way, I agree those wheels would be a FANTASTIC addition to any sportbike. Sweet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.