Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my oil through the little window after a hot ride and see that there are a lot of bubbles in there.

I did a recent oil change and ran into a snag where I pierced my oil cooler, but I JB Welded that up and it appears to be holding up great.

Only thing is I left the bike without oil and without the oil filter on overnight when it was extremely humid and I'm afraid those bubbles are water bubbles.

So am I right in thinking this? If so, I'm def going to change the oil immediately.

I also found this:

'Bubbles' in the oil are not good. Usually, they're not air bubbles, but water droplets. When you see them, it's a sign that your oil is contaminated with water and needs to be changed. A more serious problem is how the bubbles got there. Quite likely, there's a leak between the system that circulates oil (to lubricate moving engine parts) and the system that circulates coolant- the water 'jacket'. Could be something relatively simple, like a blown head gasket, or something really ugly- like a cracked head or block. Hey, be thankful you're not dealing with the idiot invention of the century, the dual action fuel pump. That little gem pumped water for the cooling system and fuel for the engine, separated only by a thin rubber diaphram. Get a leak in the diaphram and it pumped fuel into the water jacket and coolant into the fuel system. Usually, the engine died from trying to burn water, before the fuel in the water jacket overheated and exploded.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_it_mean_when_there_are_bubbles_in_your_oil

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
I just checked my oil through the little window after a hot ride and see that there are a lot of bubbles in there.

I did a recent oil change and ran into a snag where I pierced my oil cooler, but I JB Welded that up and it appears to be holding up great.

Only thing is I left the bike without oil and without the oil filter on overnight when it was extremely humid and I'm afraid those bubbles are water bubbles.

So am I right in thinking this? If so, I'm def going to change the oil immediately.

I also found this:

'Bubbles' in the oil are not good. Usually, they're not air bubbles, but water droplets. When you see them, it's a sign that your oil is contaminated with water and needs to be changed. A more serious problem is how the bubbles got there. Quite likely, there's a leak between the system that circulates oil (to lubricate moving engine parts) and the system that circulates coolant- the water 'jacket'. Could be something relatively simple, like a blown head gasket, or something really ugly- like a cracked head or block. Hey, be thankful you're not dealing with the idiot invention of the century, the dual action fuel pump. That little gem pumped water for the cooling system and fuel for the engine, separated only by a thin rubber diaphram. Get a leak in the diaphram and it pumped fuel into the water jacket and coolant into the fuel system. Usually, the engine died from trying to burn water, before the fuel in the water jacket overheated and exploded.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_it_mean_when_there_are_bubbles_in_your_oil
u popped ur cooler? did u hit the water jacket also?
if so..then u could be getting water in there.

but it only takes a few min running, to whip that water/oil into a mayo like consinstency.

BUBBLES are normal, if its running, or was just running.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u popped ur cooler? did u hit the water jacket also?
if so..then u could be getting water in there.

but it only takes a few min running, to whip that water/oil into a mayo like consinstency.

BUBBLES are normal, if its running, or was just running.
Is the water jacket inside the oil cooler? The only way I could have hit that too is if it was.

I've been running fine for about a week, so I would have def seen the mayo like consistency you are talking about but I'm not, so that's good.

Bubbles are normal if it was just running??? How many bubbles we talking here?

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
Is the water jacket inside the oil cooler? The only way I could have hit that too is if it was.

I've been running fine for about a week, so I would have def seen the mayo like consistency you are talking about but I'm not, so that's good.

Bubbles are normal if it was just running??? How many bubbles we talking here?
yeh, water is running through(inside) the cooler...thats how it cools the oil...

bubble whiles it running is normal. i dono...the whole top of the site glass..atleast. itd def be obvious.

but, .like you said, ud have noticed the whipped oil..so i doubt thats the case.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you drain your oil and the majority of it's "milky" white then you have a problem; otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned. Bubbles are normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts