Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my store after church last night to check on them. I get a call from my friend who says man i just wrecked my bike. I didn't believe him at first, but it was true.

He was turning onto his road (gravel). His road is in a really bad spot, right in the middle of a curve. Anyway started to make the turn & someone came flying around the curve in the middle of the road. He had to get out of their way fast. When he hit his road he laid it down. broke the front upper fairing, gear shifter, and a bunch of other stuff. I haven't seen the bike yet, but it scared the crap out of him. luckily he was wearing his leather jacket. I usually raz him about his gear cuz he normally doesn't wear any. I'm just glad he did this time.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
that sux man. my son done the same on his moped. came into the driveway to hot and it slid out from under him. glad ur boy is ok but hate it for his bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is that a normal Kawi thing? dump the bike and the gear shifter breaks off? My buddy dumped his 04 zx6 broke off the bracket holding his left foot peg and gear selector. I dumped my 06 zzr600 about a week ago and did the same thing. they should spring load the the thing and have it just flex out out of the way when it hits the ground... [8D] Bet yur buddy has a whole new respect for his gear. I know I sure do

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by Money
Is that a normal Kawi thing? dump the bike and the gear shifter breaks off?
Ummm, no; that's a "drop any bike on its left side" thing...lol. The shifter is one of the more vulnerable parts once the peg folds up... and no shifter can support the weight of the bike for very long. Result: SNAP. Same thing happens to the brake pedal if you dump on the right side, although the brake is usually a bit sturdier, and so it sometimes just bends out of shape.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
That sucks he laid it down but atleast he's ok so thats a good thing. When making slow turns no matter where if I spot sand I make my lean angle to the minimun and go very slow even if it means 5mph. Ive heard and seen too many times guys going down because of a little bit of sand.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've done that one on my KLR 650. But that thing was a tank and didn't take and damage from the experience. The only things I ever broke on it were the hand gaurds and clutch lever, and it was on its side more times than I can remember. Learning to ride in hilly PA with its tar and chip roads and gravel all over the place was a real experience, as was trying to off-road the beast of a "dirt bike". Always started right up after the falls though. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah trash that was him

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.