Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a wild hair up my ass and built a custom slip-on for the bike today. My buddy had a spare can laying around that he wasn't using. Yoshimura RS3 CF can from the left side of a Suzuki TLS dual system. I cut the can in half basicaly, re-riveted the end caps back onto the shorter can with all the packing back in place that I could fit. Modified the hanger bracket to fit the can sideways and bolted it all together. Also made a FI light fix out of some old metal bracket I found lying around. No pics of that tho.

Exhaust has a very deep sound to it thru the RPM range. I'm very happy with the sound, not too loud at idle but it really roars at higher RPMS. The looks could be better but I'm not going to complain too much as I only spent $5 on the whole project because I had to buy rivets for the end caps. Eventually I will replace the whole system with an Akrapovic Ti system.









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,642 Posts
pretty cool! not feeling the placement, but it's cheap, and nice for what you paid ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
The mount up makes it look just like the $2000 Beet Racing exhaust you can get from Kawi. Nice. How does it sound? That can seems a little on the short side. But since it's oval that may not make a difference.
 

·
Where is hoser??
Joined
·
17,340 Posts
That looks great!! I would suggest not wasting your money on the Akra.

--David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by SWATGeek
The mount up makes it look just like the $2000 Beet Racing exhaust you can get from Kawi. Nice. How does it sound? That can seems a little on the short side. But since it's oval that may not make a difference.
Sound is very deep thru the whole RPM range. And damn loud. The can ended up a little shorter than I intended. I didn't realize when I was cutting the can that the end cap that the rest of the system attaches to is welded to the core. But the whole thing still ended up being the length that I was shooting for, 19" overall. I really don't think that a can that was a couple more inches longer would really make a difference in the loudness.
 

·
Where is hoser??
Joined
·
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by hoser
looks good man... has character ;) ! i LOVE my akra but as mentioned, id put my money other places if i was you.


put $10 of it here
http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64001
and u might win the akra!

u to dwilits, buy some damn tickets already so i can see if i won...lol
I am not one of your midgets that you own and can tell what to do. I am my own person and make my own decisions.

--David

Ready for the track in October??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by hoser
looks good man... has character ;) ! i LOVE my akra but as mentioned, id put my money other places if i was you.


put $10 of it here
http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64001
and u might win the akra!

u to dwilits, buy some damn tickets already so i can see if i won...lol
Don't forget, I am 2 tickets ahead of you in the raffle currently (unless you bought some more) ;)

I had to tear the whole thing apart tonight and remount it after making some adjustments to the strap. The pipe managed to work its way lose while I was riding it to a from work last might. I added some high-temp RTV to the slip-in mid-pipe connection and adjusted the strap around the can for a better, tighter fit. See how it does during tonights ride to work. If this doesn't fix it, then I will pull it out and weld some tabs on for exhaust springs.

Just curiuos, why are you guys saying to skip the Akra exhaust?
 

·
MODERATOR
Joined
·
28,939 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr



Don't forget, I am 2 tickets ahead of you in the raffle currently (unless you bought some more) ;)

I had to tear the whole thing apart tonight and remount it after making some adjustments to the strap. The pipe managed to work its way lose while I was riding it to a from work last might. I added some high-temp RTV to the slip-in mid-pipe connection and adjusted the strap around the can for a better, tighter fit. See how it does during tonights ride to work. If this doesn't fix it, then I will pull it out and weld some tabs on for exhaust springs.

Just curiuos, why are you guys saying to skip the Akra exhaust?

not saying to skip the "akra" just saying what u have is good enough, and will get you buy while you buy other things. i wouldnt buy anything but the akra for the 05/06.

dwilits-CANT WAIT FOR THE TRACK!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,463 Posts
Hey xtremewlr...On the topic of the fullsystem versus the Slip-on Alrapovic there is many that say you dont really gain much if any more with the full system as the stock header and up pipe is really good..
I ended up with the full system as any extra power i can squeeze out of the 636 is worth it to me...But i have not seen a bike done with a SO, then a full system so who knows...

But the price difference is pretty hefty, being a new akra full system is 1150 or a litle more...Akra Slip ons i have seen for 450.
that is a steering damper or almost a new ohlins shock for the difference.

If you run what you got there, with PCIII mapped out you should be pretty happy with it till you gte the AKra SO, but the suspension on this bike is need of some love for sure, as well as stainless brake lines..helped out ALOT

If you want to try out my custom Akra map i will send it to you no problem...
Also i may be playing around with my ZX this winter with a custom exhaust as well..have an extra moriwaki can should be fun to see what i can with it. maybe an underbelly side mount setup..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The main reason that I want to eventually go with a full akra Ti system is for the weight savings over stock. The stock header and mid-pipe might be good but they are still heavy compared to a Ti system.

PCIII will be down the road a bit but before I get a new exhuast system. GPR steering damper is my next main purchase for the bike followed by Galfer superbike brake lines. Suspension is not too high on the list yet as I am pretty happy with the stock setup for now. I will Race Tech it as needed since this bike will see more street use than track so I don't feel the need for the high dollar suspension peices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,463 Posts
Hey man i am going to be addin some Galfer superbike lines ($95 shipped if you need a set) on in the next 3 weeks along with a brembo radial 19x18..cant wait to see how well this bike feels and stops then..

The standard master and stainless lines feel pretty good, all 2 finger stopping but the feeling is just not quite what i like.
Once i get it like my RC51 OH BABY!!!

If you want a custom map let me know i will send it to you for when you get that PCIII and full Akra..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
It looks way cool! I actually dig the offset pipe look, looks like the early Kawi. race bikes. I was thinking of making mine off center and maybe a bit shorter too, now lookin at yours its officially on my winter project list!! Great job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
If/when you sell it (if its sometime soon) lemme know I might want it....I was thinking of doing that to a can for my street fighter project
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top