Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find a decent quote, time to hit local insurance companies or local dealers. My best one was $2490 a year from Markel Corporation (http://www.bike-line.com) for a Ninja 250. MSRP for a Ninja 250 is $2000.

For the 2003 ZX-6R:

Progressive (USAA uses them for people with only a motorcycle) = $11,000 -- $500 deductible
Dairland = $12,000 -- $500 deductible
Sentry = $8000 -- $500 deductible --- Liability only = $1210
Markel Corporation = $5400 w/ 500 deductible -- $4,776 with $1005 deductible

Best quote is $1,151.24 (Markel with $1005 deductible) up front which brings it to $302 a month.

USAA and State Farm won't insure unless I own a car too. Maybe the insurance companies think once I sit on the bike I will automagically make the bike do 156mph into a school bus filled with children that have no health insurance. Whos dick do I have to suck to get a decent rate?

Why is insurance more per year than the entire cost of the bike? Anyone happen to know why insurance companies give quotes so high for some people but so low for others? I'm thinking it is because I'm 19 and just got my moto endorsement on my DL and have no insurance with any other company and no car. Any advice for getting it lower through lying or loopholes?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Welcome to my hell. Insurance companies are as bad as Nazi's

I hope they all burn in hell!!

The reason your quote is so high is because of the high rate of accidents in the sportbike category. They are basicly banking on your killing yourself and them not only having to pay out on the bike but for bodily injury as well. I'm 23 with one claim (which the insurance company then dropped me after paying out) and can't find anything less than $4,800 a year. It's a horrible thing, but the government forces you to have insurance and the companies know they have you by the balls. Therefore they bend you over and rape you with the file cabinet in the corner. God I hate insurance companies. It's nothing more than a form of extortion.

By the way, I have liability only through Progressive 390 a year.

Also to let you know, I talked about this with a couple insurance companies, the 636 motor falls under the same category as 750's now. It was something that the companies didn't catch on to right away, but now they're making sure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Think I would rather just pay the high premiums than suck a dick...To each his own.....[:M12]

No hard feelings jdm....;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
First off, how old are you?
Second, where do you live? With rates like that, you must live in the crime capital of the world.
Third, how many accidents/tickets do you already have on your liscense? Must be a bunch if the insurance companies literally do not want you to own a motorcycle.

Also, the MSRP on a Ninja 250 is $2999, not $2000.

The only thing I can tell you to do is go to a far away town if you live in a big city, and get a PO Box in your name. Switch your drivers license to that address. Then get a quote for insurance at the address of the PO Box. I checked through Progressive a couple times on a PO address 50 miles outseide of NYC, and the cost of insurance for the same bike was half.

You might want to consider that as an option.
And yes, it IS legal.
BC.

·
Registered
156 Posts
all i can say is DAYUMN!!!!! rates on my bike here is just about $600 a year. but i live in a quiet neighborhood out in the country and i have a clean driving record.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anybody from New Jersey? Try getting car insurance around here...or changing insurance companies. In order to get insurance around here anymore you have to be a criminal. Most of them won't take you unless you stopped payment on your old insurance policy or have ATLEAST 9 points.

·
Registered
252 Posts
move to NH... no insurance necessary!! :D

of course, then some POS tips over your bike while your not around and you have to suck up the bill. or worse, you have a get-off and end up paying out your pocket!
(I have liability only through Proessive for 700 p/yr -- if I wanted full coverage it was 2100 p/yr. Outf**ckingrageous!)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I dunno if they have state farm insurance where u live but i go through them. I pay $93 a month and they told me if i insure my car through them it will go down to about $54 and change.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Don't go with state farm! They'll insure you fine and cheap, but when you get into a situation where you need to make a claim, they'll pay and then drop you right afterwards. That's exactly what happened to me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went with progressive on my 636 it was the cheapest I could find and it's still 2300.00 a year. I'm in Sacramento CA and it is crazy unreal. My quote started out at 3600.00 but a couple of lies about how many miles I drive and how long I've been around motorcycles got it lowered. I ride about 10,000 miles a year easy, but only said 2,000. If I get a ticket, probably won't be able to afford to ride anymore.

Mark

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by Ken Yellow 02
Don't go with state farm! They'll insure you fine and cheap, but when you get into a situation where you need to make a claim, they'll pay and then drop you right afterwards. That's exactly what happened to me.
hehehe

Maybe you just look funny to them.:D

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze
Originally posted by Ken Yellow 02
hehehe

Maybe you just look funny to them.:D
Well, I ain't gonna lie. I'm a funny lookin fellow, but something struck me odd as to the way they handled my claim. At least let me know you're going to cancel me so I can find insurance first. They dropped me without notice and so I got fined by the DMV for having insurance for 10 days. And now it's near impossible to get insurance because they see that I have been dropped by another insurance company. It sucks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bladecutter: 19 years old, got my drivers license in April of 2003 and my Endorsement on my Florida DL Nov 20th. I have no car, no car insurance, and live in San Antonio, Texas. Even put down when available that I have an alarm and other anti-theft devices on the bike itself, still didn't make a difference. Hell I even put down that I have 3 years driving experience on one of the quote web form and it didn't change much.

Going to get put on my mothers insurance and maybe on the title of her car.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, there's the problem right there.
You're a young male driver with almost no driving experience. And you live in a large city type area.

Search for a Post Office address about 50 miles away in a rural area, and use the zip code of that on the web quote forms. See if that changes things any.

Sorry kid, but the only thing you can do is get someone older to insure the bike for you, and DON'T WRECK IT!! It's only going to be 11 years until you are out of the male high risk group.

BC.

·
Registered
448 Posts
damn,
reading this makes me apreeciate my insuramce. I am 20 with one speeding ticket, and the price progessive gave me was $190 a year for liability only. And to mention i have yet to get my endorsement for my licencse. I live in Texas too, in Houston. Did you call them or go over the web?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to a local insurance company today and got a quote. Guess how much?

*does a dance like michael jackson* $825 a year, $225 down, 600 a year which brings it to $50 a month.

Guess where I am heading tomorrow? Kawasaki dealership, it'll definately be the happiest day of my life.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dealership I'm going to said $7,295 over the phone because they are having a "sale". I asked if that was the starting negotiating price and she said that the price is pretty low but never said she wouldn't go any lower. Going to try to get them to match another dealer's advertised price that I found on cycletrader.com for $6,999. I really wish I would have saved the advertisement that I found for $6,800. Advice to new buyers, see an ad for a decent price, save it on the comp or print it up, might not find another deal like that again.

Btw, it'll be silver, eventually with a kawasaki green stripe down the sides. The silver will add about 3hp and the green will add another 5hp, can't get any better than that ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.