Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So I just got a 2017 Ninja 650 with 400 miles. 4th bike but never had one during the break-in period. Every time I stop/park the bike I can smell something burning, possibly oil. I have read some stuff saying it is normal and others saying its the end of the world?

There is no leaks, and I have ridden over 100 miles so it probably isn't spillage from the last oil change as that would have burned away by now.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're just cooking it off. Make sure you're following the break-in process correctly and the smell will most likely start to dissipate as you add miles.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Did you ride it in the rain?

My Er smells like fish every time I ride in the rain :laugh:

Anyway, I think you are going to be fine, there are always funny smells emitting from hot surfaces and different materials and there may be tiny amounts of oil / coolant / other substances that you can't really see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had similar issues with my Ninja as well.

Check for the following:-

1. If you have lubed your chain excessively. This excess lube will get sprayed all over the place and on hot surfaces of the engine during riding and can result in the burning smell. Not a reason for concern.

2. High speeds (> 140 kmph) for sustained period of time will result in some burn of Engine oil. This ,again is not a reason for concern.

3.Check for black soot at the ends of the Exhaust can, after a longish ride. Black soot will indicate engine oil burn in which case you might have to get the engine checked with your mechanic.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
2. High speeds (> 140 kmph) for sustained period of time will result in some burn of Engine oil. This ,again is not a reason for concern.

3.Check for black soot at the ends of the Exhaust can, after a longish ride. Black soot will indicate engine oil burn in which case you might have to get the engine checked with your mechanic.
Not necessarily, 140 / 150 km/h is my usual highway speed and I've ridden 800 mile days with the bike loaded with luggage and zero oil burned. Oil burning was never an issue in general, after years of track days, long trips and casual sport riding.

Also black soot at the ends of the exhaust can is a sign of both complete and incomplete burn that can be attributed to many reasons, some of which are normal.

Having the engine checked with by the mechanic along with the first oil change is always a good idea though, just to be sure :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not necessarily, 140 / 150 km/h is my usual highway speed and I've ridden 800 mile days with the bike loaded with luggage and zero oil burned. Oil burning was never an issue in general, after years of track days, long trips and casual sport riding.

Also black soot at the ends of the exhaust can is a sign of both complete and incomplete burn that can be attributed to many reasons, some of which are normal.

Having the engine checked with by the mechanic along with the first oil change is always a good idea though, just to be sure :thumbup:
Agree...it should be a non issue in 9 out of 10 cases.

But when you say get the Engine checked during oil change, do you imply checking the engine casing for any oil leaks or does it involve a deeper check like cylinder head lining etc??

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Agree...it should be a non issue in 9 out of 10 cases.

But when you say get the Engine checked during oil change, do you imply checking the engine casing for any oil leaks or does it involve a deeper check like cylinder head lining etc??
No, anything involving accessing the upper part of the engine/cylinder head is expensive and unnecessary at this stage. An older, more experienced mechanic will now exactly where to look on the outside. There were cases of oil leakage through the water pump housing but only after quite a lot of miles, but even so I would recommend a check of the surrounding area along with your right shoe for signs of minuscule oil spraying.

I really think that such smells are normal as even stuff like road grime, insects and plain old dirt can cake up in invisible places and give out burning smells when (over)heated :smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts