Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previous owner burned the clutch of an almost bnew versys 650. Had it replaced by a Kawasaki dealer. Power and torque comes on much better. BUT smell really strong burnt clutch smell. technician claims it's gas from cleaning oil spilled on the muffler or something.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Kitchen utensil Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
39,963 Posts
It's pretty easy to pop the cover off, remove the clutch discs and take a look. Might be worth your time. I've never smelled burning clutch discs after a replacement.

One thing to think about, maybe the previous owner didn't burn the clutch up...there could be a mechanical issue causing the failure (slippage) that the dealership missed (improper adjustment, etc.). If so, it's only a matter of time before your new discs are toasted again. Overheated clutch discs have a VERY distinct smell. There's NO mistaking it for burning oil or other chemicals. You might want to revisit the shop and try to make this point. After that, either hit a different shop or look at it yourself.

What oil are you using?

Reactions: GR rider

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I agree with Green, clutch smell is very distinctive.

Make sure it's not burnt / overheated oil on hot surfaces or parts that smells and as haybaler suggested confirm that you have motorcycle specific, gearbox approved motor oil in the engine or else the clutch will cook sooner or later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike like I mentioned works as expected now.

The fumes lasted the second day even after a thorough wash but confirmed that it was oil spilled on the muffler after the oil was changed. After some time running it, no more burnt Smell.

Lesson: Seems it's much easier to burn a motorcycle clutch. Even if one is not lazy to put the bike in nuetral during stops, just leaving your hand resting on the lever can activate it unknowingly as the kawi mechanic reminds me.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The bike like I mentioned works as expected now.

The fumes lasted the second day even after a thorough wash but confirmed that it was oil spilled on the muffler after the oil was changed. After some time running it, no more burnt Smell.

Lesson: Seems it's much easier to burn a motorcycle clutch. Even if one is not lazy to put the bike in nuetral during stops, just leaving your hand resting on the lever can activate it unknowingly as the kawi mechanic reminds me.
Good news and a golden rule for both cars and motorcycles with manual gearboxes:

Don't touch that lever / pedal unless necessary!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
381 Posts
Holding the lever you get unconsciously tired and let it out just a little bit, that's enough to start causing friction, fully pulled in, mentally checking, no problem.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The last time I smelled burned clutch it was accompanied by a momentary loss of power at high RPM. Turned out my clutch cable was too tight so it didn't fully release the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts