Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threw on some new Decals+Rim Stripes,Relocated LicensePlate and threw on the new Ohlins Damper. Also relocated Rear Brake Reservoir.
Flame away...

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
i think it looks pretty sick. no flaming from me

edit: obviously you can, but from how it looks, it doesnt look like you would able to turn the handle bars all the way to the left without the stabilizer getting in the way.

second edit: this might sound stupid, but im having a little trouble trying to figure out how that stabilizer works. GPR's and hyperpros and stuff, that makes sense, but the ohlins isnt makin much sense to me

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a tight squeeze with the damper, but I can live with it for now. The fork clamp has been back ordered from Kawi for about 2 months so I went ahead and bought some generic deal in the meantime. it'll work , better than having headshake coming out of an apex WFO.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Love the look, decals add another dimension, so are just scared to try it out. Worked for you I see. Where did you find you decals.

·
Registered
857 Posts
looks good just 2 questions 1 were did you get the decals? and 2 it looks liek the decals shoulda started were the fariigns start and ended where the fairings bend in toward the tank? or did you just wanna do it the way you did?? and how difficult were the decals to put on, i guess there was 3 questions...

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Yeah man, that looks real nice. Here's another stupid quesiton, did you just stick the decals on? I've heard ou can put soapy water on the fairing and use that to allow the decal to "slide" into place. Then the water evaporates and the decal sticks. This coming from a guy who does custom paint and decal stuff.

As for how the dampeners work. It is basically a piston that restricts movement. One end of the unit is attached to the frame, the other to the bars. The restriction is adjusted by a dial which controls shims inside the unit and allows internal fluid to flow more (less resistance) or flow less (more resistance). This resistance helps to limit "headshake" by not allowing the bars to wobble with the exponential rate when headshake builds to a tankslapper. Basically it holds your bars for you. Hope this helps... I'm a little tired, and I used up a lot of my "teaching skills" on the water as a coolant thread. Now I'm just left with my bowstaff skills.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just stuck em on there, some of them you can use the soapy water trick,others were actual printed decals.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Where did you get the rim stripes from? You sell em at the shop you work at or get em from the net?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey ghostdog2003, I'm also in the market for an ohlins steering damper myself and I want on that mounts exactly how you have yours mounted. Where did you get your and for how much?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by kawizx6r05
second edit: this might sound stupid, but im having a little trouble trying to figure out how that stabilizer works. GPR's and hyperpros and stuff, that makes sense, but the ohlins isnt makin much sense to me

Ever been to a house with a screen/storm door? Same kind of thing, just a lot fancier and without valving/springs to make it want to go one way more than the other. They used to all be like that until some smarty-pants realized he could make a rotary one and mount it on the steering head instead of having a fragile rod poking out in the middle of everything. They both do the same thing, though - part mounts to the stuff that moves when steering, part mounts to the stuff that stays still, and it dampens the movement between the two. Awfully simple concept for something that costs so damn much.

I think it's very rude of Kawasaki not to give us 6R guys that damn hole in the frame to mount one of that style.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered the damper from Kawasaki parts catalog, rim stripes are from a cat in UK on ebay, his rim stripes are fatter than the rest.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Looks pretty nice...all I gotta say is get rid of the turnsignals! Flush mounts, FTW!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
over all i like it. i am not crazy about the back of the tank and the top of the tail, but other than that i like it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The heat dissipates pretty good, Its going to have exhaust wrap on it this week, I ran out of time this weekend.
Went on my first ride with the steering damper today, totally transformed the bike. I can now drive much harder and sooner coming out of the apex.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.