Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys!

New to the bike world, just got a 1998 ZX7R, Black.

Need a helmet and jacket though.... figured you all would know whats good, reasonably priced, and stylish. I wanna stay black, maybe with red accents...

What brand should I be looking at? Where should I be looking? Links Please?

Thanks!

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Well jacket is all about personal preference. I like race replica jackets and so I got the Joe Rocket Kawasaki race replica jacket in black/black/black.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=20145&department=112&Division=1

They also make a leather version but I'm not a big fan of leather in 100+ degree weather. I crash tested this jaket last week while going 50-60mph and it held up well except for a small rip on the left arm. Leather definitely holds up better than non-leather but I just don't like wearing it.

Helmets you're gonna hafta experiment with. I started out with HJC, which is a cheaper brand. They're fine helmets but they're also huge. I felt like Kenny from South Park while wearing my HJC.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=21624&department=101&division=1

That was my old helmet. Pretty good ventilation but again, it was just too big.

Just recently I switched to Shoei. When I first tried it I understood immediately why they're considered to be one of the best helmet companies in the world. Shoei is expensive as hell (paid $450 for mine) but their quality is also amazing.

http://www.newenough.com/shoei_tzr_graphics_helmet_pictures.htm

I just bought the second one...Siege. About buying helmets - go to a store and try on sizes before ordering online. I'm a large in both HJC and Shoei but some companies have different size charts. A helmet is one thing you want to take your time on because it protects your most important body part.

For ordering online - I've found New Enough to be the best company. Good customer service, decent prices and their regular shipping gets to me within a few days. There are literally dozens of gear sites out there though so shop around for the best price. You can literally save hundreds of dollars by just taking one hour to search every website out there.

edit: Depending on your riding style you might want to invest in boots as well. Most people tend to neglect boots but they're just as important. At least try to find some over-the-ankle footwear, even if they aren't racing boots.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts

got this icon few weeks back, flat black with some red accents. so far i like it pretty good.

·
Registered
891 Posts
whatever you do, don't skimp out. I paid 200 for a 550$ helmet, but i was prepared to pay full price for it. My head (college tuition included) is worth lots more than the 500 bucks it costs to protect it.

What's the weather like in PA? I have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego and love it. It's a textile jacket, but the top layer unzips to a mesh jacket underneath, perfect for those warm days.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
what are you willing to spend, there is a gear for almost any budget

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
basically scorpion makes a great helmet... they've got 3 models. 2 are for sports bikes. One is polycarbonate while the other is a kevlar/fiberglass helmet. They're all DOT and SNELL certified...very comfortable and stylish. VERY FUNCTIONAL. THEY DO NOT FOG!!! and they offer the helmets with different colored/tinted faceshields. They've even got a shield that changes to dark in the sunlight. I love these helmets, and while staying under $200 while offering everything if not more than more expensive ones. Well worth it! The only difference between one of these and a $600 helmet is about $400. The point is, it doesn't take $600 to make a helmet...it doesn't even take $100 to make a quality helmet... it's just what they choose to charge.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/exo400_octane.html

read reviews on these things...check out the website

http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/street.html
remember to click the helmet, they make all but 2 of them in red/black

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Chicagois2
basically scorpion makes a great helmet... they've got 3 models. 2 are for sports bikes. One is polycarbonate while the other is a kevlar/fiberglass helmet. They're all DOT and SNELL certified...very comfortable and stylish. VERY FUNCTIONAL. THEY DO NOT FOG!!! and they offer the helmets with different colored/tinted faceshields. They've even got a shield that changes to dark in the sunlight. I love these helmets, and while staying under $200 while offering everything if not more than more expensive ones. Well worth it! The only difference between one of these and a $600 helmet is about $400. The point is, it doesn't take $600 to make a helmet...it doesn't even take $100 to make a quality helmet... it's just what they choose to charge.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/exo400_octane.html

read reviews on these things...check out the website

http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/street.html
remember to click the helmet, they make all but 2 of them in red/black
They do fog, they are heavier and noticable on long rides, and venting is years behind high end helmets like X-11, Rx-7, VSR, Spec-1R. I know, i owned all of these helemts. I do agree that it does not cost that much to make a helmet, but it does take money for R&D and advertisment, so like i said before, it about what you can afford and what you are willing to live with.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by 2k6r520

They do fog, they are heavier and noticable on long rides, and venting is years behind high end helmets like X-11, Rx-7, VSR, Spec-1R. I know, i owned all of these helemts. I do agree that it does not cost that much to make a helmet, but it does take money for R&D and advertisment, so like i said before, it about what you can afford and what you are willing to live with.
The clear and the smoke visors do not fog. The mirrored visors dont have the anti-fog coating inside them. I have both the clear and the smoke and have never had them fog up on me, regardless of the weather and I ride year round. The weight is not nearly as bad as you make it sound either. I have done 4+ hour rides and don't even notice the helmet being there. Venting may not be the best but there are many helmets that are alot worse and cost the same or more.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Scorpion helmets, IMO, are intermediate.. They're good helmets for the money, but they aren't the best in terms of weight, ventilation, or comfort. I thought about buying one, actually. My intentions are to eventually have an extremely wide array of gear. Call it a collection, if you will. I have 3 or 4 relatively cheap helmets, and intend to add a few nicer ones to the collection. I had.. umm.. 4 jackets.. Sold two of them. I'd like to have something for everything, whether it be heat, cold weather, rain, etc.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
ZEROcool... I like the collection idea. I too thought about that. I currently just have a leather and a mesh. 3 helmets, a scorpion and 2 HJC ....gonna buy a kevlar scorpion soon, I can get them with an "employee" discount.

zx6r520, the visors that don't have the anti-fog...do fog. Otherwise I could wear my helmet in the shower and not fog

sorry don't wanna steal the post

·
Registered
104 Posts
the best helmet i ever put on my head thus far is an Arai rx7. the aerodynamics are so great that going 90mph+ you can turn your head sideways and feel no wind resistance, unlike the Icon i used to have, that nearly took your head off.

the ONLY downfall is that it ventilates so well, that its pretty loud, and pretty cold in the winter.

shhh... by the way i got a Joe Rocket leather for sale cheeeap. looks great, and its black. hit me up.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Scorpion helmets are mediocre. You can get more for the money, and that whole "difference between a scorpion and a $600 helmet is $400" is the most bullshit corporate tagline I've ever heard...makes me torn between laughing and beating my head into a wall every time I hear someone quote that like it's some nifty fact they just came up with. Basically, mid-range for a helmet is $300 to $500. Top-shelf helmets MSRP for $500+, and the cheaper helmets are under $300. So an $80 helmet is just a hair better than a novelty, in comparison. Dainese makes the highest-quality, best fitting gear, period. And Arai, Vemar, AGV, Suomy, Shark, and Shoei are the good helmet makers. Most of those guys make top-shelf, mid-range, and "cheap" helmets, but those guys' "cheap" helmets are in the mid-to-high $200 range. I wouldn't buy a helmet that MSRP'd for less than $250. Wear a $150 Scorpion for a few days/weeks/months/whatever, then switch to a top-shelf brand like Arai or Vemar, and you'll feel like a dipshit for paying $150 for the Scorpion when you could have bought an AGV or Arai or what not for $250/$300. And if you have the money, it's more than worth it to spring for a top-shelf helmet. Weight, comfort, liner material/thread count, padding shape, padding material, venting, noise level, visor clarity, visor thickness, visor locking method (or lack thereof), aerodynamic properties of the helmet shell...all these things are the difference between a Scorpion and a $600 helmet.

As for gear...Icon makes good quality, durable street leathers (jackets, anyway), A* leather jackets are alright, but their textiles shred (personal experience), AGV Sport leather/textile jackets hold up pretty good, but their style is a little outdated...Joe Rocket is a cheaper brand, but their leathers hold up alright. Dainese is the big boy, though. Their stuff's quality of manufacture, quality of materials, quality of fit...it's all top notch, bar none. If you have enough money that it doesn't make your glory hole pucker when you buy it, you'll never buy another brand again. They're that good.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Scorpion Do fog, wore it for a ride during the winter and gave it back! the weight is noticable to me, the wind resistant is VERY noticable, and overall build quality is not even in the same ball park as mention above you can say i'm full of Sh*t but just to add some creditbility to my point here are some helmets i've owned.

Arai Quantum
Arai Rx-7RR
Shoei Rf1000 (2 of them)
Shoei TZ1
Shoei RF900
OGK FF3
OGK FF3GP
Suomy Gunwind
Suomy Spec-1R Extream
Vemar Carbon Fiber VSR
Caberg Solo
Fulmar
and a few others i can remember

So i do have quite a collection.
So buy what you can afford but dont go saying make the assumption that a cheaper helmet is gonig to performe over all as good as a higher end helmet. The only exception i've seen to this rule is the Vemar helmet when they were on blowout, but even then the VSR line was MSRP at 500+

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
from what i'm assuming.....c'mon now...the guy isn't going to motogp...he wants a street helmet. And on the street, a helmet is just like a set of tires...you don't need the qualifiers or pp's for street riding...you don't need a full leather suit...you don't need gauntlet gloves

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Scorpion helmets are mediocre. You can get more for the money, and that whole "difference between a scorpion and a $600 helmet is $400" is the most bullshit corporate tagline I've ever heard...makes me torn between laughing and beating my head into a wall every time I hear someone quote that like it's some nifty fact they just came up with. Basically, mid-range for a helmet is $300 to $500. Top-shelf helmets MSRP for $500+, and the cheaper helmets are under $300. So an $80 helmet is just a hair better than a novelty, in comparison. Dainese makes the highest-quality, best fitting gear, period. And Arai, Vemar, AGV, Suomy, Shark, and Shoei are the good helmet makers. Most of those guys make top-shelf, mid-range, and "cheap" helmets, but those guys' "cheap" helmets are in the mid-to-high $200 range. I wouldn't buy a helmet that MSRP'd for less than $250. Wear a $150 Scorpion for a few days/weeks/months/whatever, then switch to a top-shelf brand like Arai or Vemar, and you'll feel like a dipshit for paying $150 for the Scorpion when you could have bought an AGV or Arai or what not for $250/$300. And if you have the money, it's more than worth it to spring for a top-shelf helmet. Weight, comfort, liner material/thread count, padding shape, padding material, venting, noise level, visor clarity, visor thickness, visor locking method (or lack thereof), aerodynamic properties of the helmet shell...all these things are the difference between a Scorpion and a $600 helmet.

Good post

& may I add, I was one of those "dipshits" who bought into the hype
Scorpion spewed & then purchased one. Sold it a week later & went
back the Shoie RF1k I originally had. Bit the bullet, pulled out the
plastic & bought a Arai Q2.

& have never looked back.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had an HJC CL14 and went to a shoei RF 1000. Huge difference in fit, comfort and quiet. It'l cost you about $380 for one with graphics or $320 for solid colors but a good investment for your head. A nice all around jacket is a Firstgear Magnum. Has a liner for colder weather and plenty of ventilation for warmer weather. I think they cost less than $150 but not sure. For real hot weather a mesh jacket is a must or you'll be tempted to ride in a t shirt. I have a Teknic supervent that I really like. There is just so much to pick from it's hard to advise someone what to get.

·
Registered
522 Posts
your gonna hear all sorts of speculations, but i can give you my experience and the norm.

without a doubt, the 2 helments that come the most higly reccomended are the shoei and the arai. i personally have an arai and love it. others do fine with kbc's, hci's and the like. they will all protect your head, their all DOT approved. where things really come into play is comfort and weight. i tried 3 helmets before i bought mine. a kbc, a shark, and my arai. arai was the lightest, fit the most snug, and had the most padding. comming in at #2 was the shark, and of course the kbc was last. the kbc's padding was alot thinner and the helmet was noisier. i got a good deal on my arai, but even $500 is cheaper than a new melon. also weight plays more of a factor than you think, and im not talking about racing weight savings....im talking about neck strain.

now the BIGGEST debate on gear.....leather or textile. im from the texas plains. we regularly have weather over 100 degrees for sometimes months on end. and often times its not very windy. i sprung for a full JR alter ego setup. i love mine. the mesh under the zip off panels keeps you cool (when the panels are removed) and IMO your 98% as protected as you were if you had all the panels on. your shoulders, forearms, back, L retain all their padding. the only part thats truly more vulnerable is teh cheat area...but you dont have padding there anyways. it has a removable inner rain/wind liner that zips in, i have mine removed and just toss it on like a windbreaker if its chilly out. then throw on the coat over it. here its cold in the morning but heating up in the daytime. it is truly the most versatile setup on the market. i can ride in 110* or 0* and im truly not uncomfortable in either climate. its is an all season get-up just as they say. the pants are great, but really only have padding in the knees. they say there is padding for the hips..and there is, but not much. they dont have as much mesh to them, but it does a fantastic job of keeping cool. i regularly wear black slacks underneath and havent once been hot in them. as far as "the feel" and my perception..you feel very well padded.

now, i also bought a used teknic leather jacket from a friend. he wanted another, it was slightly used and he only wanted $50. its perforated leather and keeps me pretty cool on hot days....but not as cool as the textile. it absorbs more of the suns energy than my textile. i usually wear this with jeans on quick little jaunts. this jacket has not been tested in the heat of summer as the textile has...but just upon my tests, it is a lil warmer. in all honesty i thought it would be too big and bought it just as an extra jacket for pilons. but upon receiving it it fit almost perfectly. as far as "the feel" i dont feel nearly as padded, but im well aware of the superior abrasion resistance leather has over textile. seems the impact might hurt a little more.

this debate over leather vs textile will go on forever. yes, leather has the upper hand in terms of overall protection. there is no contest. however, most textile/mesh jackets are designed for the hotter climates. there is a trade off for each. ultimate protection/little relief from the heat. better releif from the heat/reduced protection.

hope this long winded post helps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.