Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a 2000 250 w/3800 miles go for just under $2,700 on eBay. Realizing that getting an '08 is not going to happen and I'm way behind the curve in getting on a list for an '09, it's beginning to look like used is going to be my best option.

But, not much used action in this part of the country. How do you feel about buying off eBay or craigslist when you can't get eyes/hands on before you make an offer?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
For a few days last week one of the largest auto dealerships in Eastern Massachusetts (who purchases the entire last page of the newspaper for his ads) had a used 2007 Ninja 250 in his car ad for $3900. Never mind how strange it was to notice him advertising the first motorcycle I've ever seen him offer in one of those back page ads, but $3900 for a used bike that retailed for $3099 two years ago? Obviously he knows the Ninja 250 is hot, as is anything that gets good mileage these days, but maybe nobody told him that it's the '08 that everyone's desperately looking for. Someone bought it and the ad was gone in a matter of days, but it illustrates just how in demand small have become.

As far as buying off Craigslist or eBay, there are sometimes great 250s sold for short money (i.e. ScootyScootScot's son's 250R that sold for 4k as "Buy It Now" after getting no bids for an entire week.) The important things to remember are:

1.) Have your money ready. Some insist on the full cash amount at time of sale and you don't want to fumble at the bank seeing if you can swing it while others with cash in hand are putting in their offers.

2.) Be Quick. If the bike looks really good and meets your criteria, don't wait - jump on it and make an offer. "Thinking about it" just allows someone to buy it out from under you.

3.) Don't forget to figure in shipping costs. The cost to ship a bike from one side of the country to the other is many times less than you would expect. Don't pass on a good cheap bike just because it's not local.

4.) Do the work. Craigslist has 4 different sub catagories for different areas of the state I live in. If your state is similar, check all areas and adjoining states also or you may miss a great deal close by. Configure 'My eBay" to alert you by cell phone or email when any 250 goes up for bid.

Most of all be patient and don't bid on a bad bike just because you're not seeing much right now. If you're doing your job, the exact bike you want will come along eventually. Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
2700 seems like a lot for a 2000. I bet you can find one cheaper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah 2700 is waay too much, esp cuz they have a blue 2007 on there for less than that, the seller said 2500 for his 2007, granted it's in florida, but still.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. Other than a salvage title and seeing more than minor scratches in the pictures any other red flags to look for?

And Kurosaki and kkim forgive me for shifting the thread (I know bad dog no bone tonight) what about looking at 500's to increase the field.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
kkim - Experience - zero, zip, nata on anything with a motor.

But for the last eight years I've put 3,000 - 4,000 miles a year (two sets of tires) on a "road bike" that weighs 18# :) Counter steering, fast corners, riding in traffic, seeing and being seen, knowing the look in a cagers eyes that says they are looking right through you - been there and doing it. I have done Americas Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe five of the last six years (lung cancer knocked us out last year) and that is 100 miles around the lake with an out and back to Truckee. On the down hills I've seen 42-45 mph on 23 cm tires.

Which 500 - good question. Used most likely. Suggestions if I go that route?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would not have guessed the pre-08's are getting high dollar. As mentioned, this year's model is really what has the masses clamoring. But, with gas prices the way they are, any small bike is going to get attention.

FWIW, I think the 08+ 250R is a way sexier bike and would hold out for one if I were you. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

But for the last eight years I've put 3,000 - 4,000 miles a year (two sets of tires) on a "road bike" that weighs 18# :) Counter steering, fast corners, riding in traffic, seeing and being seen, knowing the look in a cagers eyes that says they are looking right through you - been there and doing it. I have done Americas Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe five of the last six years (lung cancer knocked us out last year) and that is 100 miles around the lake with an out and back to Truckee. On the down hills I've seen 42-45 mph on 23 cm tires.

thanks for the background. that helps. :)

what will the primary use for the bike be? stepping stone to a larger bike, economical daily transportation, touring, two up riding?? how long do you think you will be involved with the sport? will you be doing your own maintenance or taking it to a shop to do the work?

you sound like a very well grounded individual. I want to recommend what I feel would be the best selection for you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most likely what ever I get will be "the" bike given the "old guy status. I've been sitting on some bikes at the dealers and the cruisers just don't feel right. Most likely because on my road bike I ride with my feet right under my butt (one of the alignment keys for bicycle fitting is with your feet at the 3:00 and 9:00 a line from your knee should intersect the pedal spindle) and the hands are more out front. Thus the Ninja feels like home with this big thing between the legs. Way more info than you were looking for I know but . .

It will primarly be daily commutes, maybe some local highway just to feel the wind in my face (one of the the things I really miss), a run of 60 miles up to Omaha to see friends but since the significant other doesn't ride and I don't see her getting on behind, it will be just me.

I wish I could tell you how long. I guess as long as I can keep it balanced at a stop sign and don't nod off waiting for the light.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts

tell ya what man, ur an old guy, little older looking than me. kudo's to you for doing the bike thing!

if you do want a sport bike, look for a used 03'-07' 6r. deals are there. just shop around. if you just want a 250 or 500, keep a look out cause a lot of peeps bought those to learn on and get rid of them quick.

you seem to be at an age to where you won't be stupid on any size bike. therfore, when you get started and want more power, if you get a 6r, you can start slow and keep the bike for the long haul.

as for ebay, i've bought 2 toyota's with no issues. you win the bid, go look at it, if all is good like the auction states, take it home.

lastly, you know the dangers of the street from bike riding, the same goes for motorcycles. if it's gonna be "the bike" (like mine) then just get a decent bike and stick with it. my 04' RR gets about 45 mpg. just start slow, a lot of your bike knowledge will transfer over

·
Registered
25 Posts
i say keep your eyes posted on craigslist... even check in neighboring cities/states... i bought mine from craigslist from a dude three counties away (150+ miles)

Its a used 2006 with 4100 miles on the odo. New rear tire, never dropped, light scratches on body (not from a drop)... dude wanted $2900.. i talked him down to $2500.

Just keep looking, with summer almost over, people might part with their bikes soon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kkim - I should be able to handle the basic maintenance and brakes. Back in the days when you could find the spark plugs and there were "points" I used to do all my tune ups and maintenance.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
kkim - I should be able to handle the basic maintenance and brakes. Back in the days when you could find the spark plugs and there were "points" I used to do all my tune ups and maintenance.
Then, cool... I would suggest a used bike, if you can find one in decent condition. The pre gen ninja 250s, a ninja 500 or a Suzuki gs500 would be excellent bikes for someone just starting out. The good part is that all 3 of these bikes are still currently being made (250 updated in 08, of course) but they also have long histories of being reliable mounts throughout their model life spans.

If finances are not a problem and you feel you need :) a new bike, they are still selling these models currently off the showroom floors.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=315

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GS500FK8

for info on the pre gen 250's this site has a wealth of information that will help no matter if you end up with a 250 or not.... http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

Purchasing the bike is only one part of the program. Learning to ride safely through an MSF course should be a priority before you start riding full time. Also, consider spending at least $500-1000 on safety equipment. Speeds are a lot higher with motorcycles than bicycles and it seems your worst enemy (besides yourself) is every other vehicle on the road with you. It's a dangerous environment.

If you do end up purchasing a 250, I hope you will consider hanging out here so we can help with any problems or issues you may have.

Good luck.

aloha,
Kelly

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know one thing is for sure, these 250's are being capitalized on by so many dealers and people, that's for sure, supply and demand at it's finest (or worst, i guess). eBay can be a great idea, especially when you have dealers selling 08's with 2K+ miles and cracked fairings for 4500...jeez

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input and advice kkim - reps for you. I'll let you know next Sunday night after I finish my MSF if I'm going forward. One step at a time as they say.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks for all the input and advice kkim - reps for you. I'll let you know next Sunday night after I finish my MSF if I'm going forward. One step at a time as they say.
GL, OG.

Yes, please let us know how it goes on Sunday. :)

The very best to you no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi OldGuy
I don't know how the dealer stock is in your area, but where I live you can still get a brand new 07 for thousands less than the 08.
People are drooling over the new model but the previous style is a proven design, very easy to work on, and stable & forgiving for the new rider.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i found my 07 off cycletrader.com it had 16 miles and they wanted 2500 for it but i worked them down to 2200. I'd look for one you can go look at in person and not just buy over the internet so you can test ride and make sure nothings wrong. Just look over the bike and dont act interested, point out every tiny thing you find then say ill give you x amount and go from there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts