Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes, yes I am newbie and need to know were to start and hopping that you guys will guide me in the right direction.

I have read the FAQ, but did not see anything about buying a used bike.

Since I am new rider goona be, I would like to buy a used bike, but need to know what to look for when buying one.

The reason I want a used bike because I know it will be dropped, I know that. The only thing is when it will be dropped not how.
Anyway

When inspecting a used bike do I look for:
Oil leaks is given
the shape the oil is in
the maintains history.
see if the forks are leaking? not sure

Or once I find the bike I like should I just pay the extra money and take it to a mechanic?

Any thought on this is great full.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty then, I will take you up on that offer.
Here goes. Once I will find the bike that I like and completely check it out. What is the life on the engine the fuel consumption.
I mean if the bike has 5k miles on it that is one thing, but if the bike is pushing lets say around 30k miles, how long should it go before major overhaul rebuild or what ever. the reason for this, most cars usually need a rebuilt around 150 - 200k but the bike on the other hand is usually ridden harder pushed to it's limit should this be concern or not.

also, the modifications v a stock bike should the price be cheaper on a modified one versus the stock one.

I am trying to find a used one like the 1990 or so. are there any particulars ears to stay away from or they all basically the same but different colors?

Like on the Ninja 500 the early ones had smaller tires sizes should this be a bother or not?

any answers are great full.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The ZX-6R was first released in 1995, and the US spec models received major changes in 1998 and 2000. The tire size grew larger with each major change, but it is not difficult to find tires for any ZX-6R. Since each model has been reliable, it has been mostly the colors that change each year.

In theory, mods add to the value of the bike. In practice, the seller recuperates little of the investment in add-ons.

Use the guide to determine if the bike has been abused. If it has not and you keep up with scheduled maintenance, the engine will likely have a long life.

Fuel consumption varies wildly with riding style. I get a bit less than 30 mpg. You will see other, higher figures if you search the forum.

We can better help if you add your location to your profile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.