Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a zx6r as a next bike, probably from '97-'99.but i don't want to get ripped off.
Could anyone give me some tips on which things i should pay attention to? Any typical problems that cause owners to sell their bikes for low prices? Or just general sportbike buyer advice?
Any help would be appreciated and sorry if i'm in the wrong forum, this place is huge:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its kinda hard to say, every bike is different but maintence history is so important. 1998-1999 are faster and better looking bikes

low kms are great but if its just being sitting for years its not good either. look for something under 50 000km

if its been repainted its probably been down

look for:

dents in the rims
deep grooves in the rotors
revs nice
cold start
warm start
chain tension
worn sprockets

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Just look at the top speed.... ok... joking!

Like moto said; check that out... but if you don't know two inches about bikes I would recommend scouting out for a good bike mechanic and offer a case of beer or something to have them look over anybike you recommend.

Something to add to moto's list is: fork damage and fork-seal damage.... I had to get my fork-seal's replaced due to the fat idiot before me popping up on one wheel....

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
listen for camchain noise, My 98 cam chain tensioner(screw type) was too gummed up to increase the tension, even after cleaing it several times the spring was just shot, replaced it with a new one for a 2001 zx6r (rachet style)and now its nice a quiet

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the front brakes as they warp easily, steering head bearings/front wheel bearings to see if it's suffered from hard landings from wheelies.

Other than that, only other common thing I can think of its the CCT as jonnyriabov suggested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.