Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new to this forum. Ive got everyting in order to buy a new bike in october! Im pretty much sold on the new zx-6r, but other than looks i dont really know why. I know this site is gonna be a little bit biased, but keep an open mind. Why should i get this bike instead of say a gsxr-600 or an r6? What are some pros, cons??? thx for your help. Cant wait to get out there and ride w/ u guys.

·
Registered
105 Posts
well considering almost all of the bikes in this years 600 class are very similar in power appearance is one of the main things you should use for your decission. i bought mine based solely on looks it is the first bike i have ever ridden so power and all the other things didnt matter to me but the over all appearance of the 05/06 zx6r i feel is very good every body line seems to flow well especially with the rear seat. the other bikes in my oppinion look like they just have a padded square thrown on there.

G

·
Originally posted by clanton1.8T
well considering almost all of the bikes in this years 600 class are very similar in power appearance is one of the main things you should use for your decission. i bought mine based solely on looks it is the first bike i have ever ridden so power and all the other things didnt matter to me but the over all appearance of the 05/06 zx6r i feel is very good every body line seems to flow well especially with the rear seat. the other bikes in my oppinion look like they just have a padded square thrown on there.
+1111111111

cant go wrong with any of the big 4. but appearance wise, i like the looks of the 636 best.

also kawi from what ive read has a reputation for making quality shit.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea thats kinda what i thought. Everybody pretty much says performance is damn near the same between 600's. So seeing as how you guys both own 6r's, are they pretty comfortable? be honest now. I dont know if youve ridden anything else or not but i plan on taking mine on trips and stuff too. By the way im getting a black one, i dont think you can beat black.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just recently got my 636...pros it looks sweet but also has great power. Way more comfortable than the other 3. Best performance #'s.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ibleedgreen
I just recently got my 636...pros it looks sweet but also has great power. Way more comfortable than the other 3. Best performance #'s.
O man just looking at your pic makes me want mine so bad. Are you sure about the performance numbers??? do you have a link to any performance comparisons or anything? im guessing the better performance has something to do with that extra 36 cc's. Im pretty sure it also has the best power/weight ratio.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dont buy new, get a used bike. You will save more money and you will lose less. Also I am not sure of your experience level but they have 05 ZX-10R's for around $7000. I wish I would have picked up a used bike and now I am paying the price, but its your decision to make and I hope you enjoy the bike you pick.

G

·
he's got a point. monthly payments suck unless u can afford 'em and can pay off the bike in a short amount of time. i got a used 05 in good condition for $6k.

20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i was thinkin about that, i really wanted a brand spankin new bike but i think i could live with an 05 knowing i was saving about 2 g's. Is there any difference in power or styling between the 05's and 06's?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Probably not, they may say there is but I doubt it. Kawasaki is making a new 600 for next year, so if you want the latest and greatest from Kawi, you should probably wait a year. I have seen the new R6 in action and it was really no different from my bike, but the sure do look sweet, and the ride height is higher but so is the riding position compared to the 636. I really want to get that gearing done to my bike to see what difference it makes. Right now you have to get to about 7000 rpm for the bike to start showing its teeth.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my choice

1) Looks
2) Price < only bike at the time i got OTD less then 10k >
3) Dealer seemed stright up no BS
4) Financing is the best
5) All the mags i read < UK Fast Bikes, Superbike hate US mags money gets props mentailty> put it best in 600, 2nd overall bike of the year lost to K5 gixxer
6) Not a selling point but something i have read recently.. with no change to the bike besides minor things it still came in 3rd in bike of the year for Fast Bikes

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree w/ the above comments, but from personal experience... I purchased a brand new 03 gixxer 600 back several years ago (which ended up getting stolen). I liked the looks, it was comfortable, quick, etc etc. In complete honesty, if I had ridden a 636 at that time, I would have purchased it instead. I only bought my 636 recently I have now because I got an amazing deal on it that I was unable to pass up. I was really looking for a liter bike, but came upon this one. I love it and have no regrets of buying it. My gixxer was a fantastic bike, but the 636 outperforms and just looks better. Good luck w/ your purchase! :D

EDIT: I don't think the 05/06's are THAT much more comfortable than my 03 at all. They're both excellent bikes. Just my .02

·
Registered
380 Posts
I wish I would have bought used but if you want a black 05/06 body style you have to go new unless you can find somebody selling their 06 for some crazy reason. As far as performance/comfort. I've ridden an 06 gixxer 600 and my bike and I've sat on a CBR but never the R6. Of the 3 I've sampled I like the 636 the best. You sit lower in the gixxer but it's a little narrow for me and the honda felt like I was sitting high and over the nose and the seat is as hard as a rock. Everything I've read about the R6 pretty much says it sucks as a street bike because it doesn't have any grunt below 12K. Awesome track toy I bet though. I really liked the way the gixxer rode and the way the power delivery felt but everybody on here seems to think anybody riding a gixxer is a poser or squid so if you care about what the members of KawiForums think of you, stay away from it. As much as I liked that bike anyway, I was happy to get back on mine. You can't go wrong with the 636.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I originally wanted a gsxr 750 but Kawi had an awesome financial plan and since the gsxr 750 was $10000 I had to hold off. I think all 600's are about the same give or take a few horsepower, I personally think that Honda is overpriced and overweight and not very comfortable. But check ebay alot, they seem to have the best prices on new and used.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
as what was said several times here...
You cant go wrong with pretty much any of them.
But if yu are not dead set on the Black 636, go and find a used 2005 for around $6500 with some mods already done.
save some serious money and get the same bike as new.

Just get the bike that fits you best & makes you say that is my bike
HELL YEAH!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you have $4.00 to spend, buy the July2006 edition of Sport Rider, it compares six 600s and explains pros and cons of each

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
for a first bike, buy used! i've seen far too many people say they'll never be w/o a bike now that they own one. a year later, it's gone! until you've gotten enough riding under your belt to realize the time/money required for bikes, don't be foolish with your cash.

do your best to buy it outright. if you're not intending on full coverage, pay it off ASAP so you can get insurance down to PLPD

do not get hasty with your decisions. just because it's brand new doesn't mean it will be the best bike to pick. peersonally, i like the current ZX style more than mine, but the comfort level of my 01, as far as i'm concerned, blows away the current sportbikes.

no brand new R6. granted, it's a good looking bike, but it's meant to be hurled through a track, not the streets. along with pretty much every other bike. be prepared for limited/minimum comfort!

don't get that "watch this!" attitude when riding. if you come back after buying a bike and say you crashed it, i won't say anything, but you can bet i'm chuckling behind the monitor!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.