Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying used from dealer?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mvrk1 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to motorcycling in general, but I've just completed the Canadian version of the MSF, and I'm looking forward to buying a bike (I've decided on a used 2000-2002 ZX-6r, since I look like I'm riding a kids bike when I sit on a CBR)

Quick question - in general, if one is looking to purchase a used ZX6r from a dealer, what sort of % reduction off the price can be expected? Would it be reasonable to expect more wiggle room since we're coming to the end of the riding season?

Thanks!:)

#2 ·
wait until winter to buy a bike. i know in canada it gets crazy cold, so maybe they would make a beeter offer when its not riding season(which is like 4 months of riding).

#4 ·
Yeah, I suppose I should wait until winter, but I'd kinda like to have a bit of fun before the season is completely over, and I forget everything I learned at the training course!

I guess I'll start looking for a bike in a couple weeks, and try to start at 15% below the asking price.

#5 ·
I bought a 02 zx6r used at the dealership for 7,000$ out the door, which comes out to I believe 6300-6400 for bike, and the rest was tax and licensing that the dealership took care of. I then spent 500$ on the extended warranty. BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. warranty covers your tires if they pop, yes, that means when they have 50% life left, you pop the tire yourself and say you ran over something. REPLACED FOR FREE, except labor charge.Labor charge here is 32$. I also had a motor mount bolt snap, they took care of it, other misc bolts fell off, they replaced it, just get it,well worth it.
TOTAL 7500$ financed.

Buying from an individual is ? OR IS IT?

Buddy of mine bought a telefonica suzuki and paid 7k from a guy, bike had 2800 miles on it. Within first week, something happened, sounded like it had no gas (but it did) and he replaced a piece that costed like 600$, he found one for 250$ at a bike salvage yard. Paid 300$ in labor to have it installed, still didnt fix problem. Dealership never gave labor charges back because my buddy didnt press the issue like he should have. Bike would drive ok one minute, freak out for 45 seconds, then start running ok again. Weird bike. Point is, something breaks, warranty might cover it.

#7 ·
is there no cycle trader in canada?..cause that might be your best bet...and i know you can buy warrantys for used cars not bought at a dealership so there is a possability for a bike 4 a warranty

hey maxxx you can edit your posts so you ain't gottta post twice.

p.s. sorry bout' the spelling and rambling...i'm fully loaded right now.

#8 ·
Buying from an individual is definitely cheaper, but you're running the risk of spending your money on something that you have no clue of how it's going to run two months down the road...something goes wrong, you have no recourse...

I bought my '02 this summer as a leftover...out the door with an Arai helmet and new gloves I charged $7800 to my GoodTimes card....no interest for 1 year, then I can transfer it to another credit card interest-free...

great deal

#9 ·
That's exactly my thinking. If I could find a new J3 leftover somewhere, I'd buy it, but I think my best bet is a ultra low mileage trade-in.

Originally posted by sabbadoo10

Buying from an individual is definitely cheaper, but you're running the risk of spending your money on something that you have no clue of how it's going to run two months down the road...something goes wrong, you have no recourse...

#11 ·
if you do buy from a dealer, look up the NADA book value and use it to negotiate. They probably use it (at least they do here) to set values on trade-ins b/c it's substantially lower than blue book. Don't worry about percentages. Tell them you'll pay the nada value (after you offer them less first, of course). if they start to waffle, ask them if they use nada to determine trade-in value. if they do, they are pretty much screwed into giving you the bike for nada retail or looking like total rapists. My local dealer swears that the nada is their bible.

Here's an example of why you can't use a % on a used bike: I just looked at an 89 FJ1200 at my dealer. They had it marked $2999. When I asked, he said average nada retail was 2200. If they mark all their bikes up 800, then the percentage varies a lot from the FJ1200 to the 929.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.