Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 08 650r. The seller warned me about a buzzing at low rpms around the instrument cluster and told me that this is a known issue and that a fix was available. Does anyone else know anything about this?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The dreaded fairing buzz lol.

Yours is probably coming from the windshield, but could be from where the fairing side panels fit agains the centre section. The cure is to remove the fairing panels and re-fit with some adhesive foam or rubber tape between the sections, including under the screen.

There should be a small all round gap between the centre fairing section and the instrument pod. Anywhere it looks close to touching, add a bit of tape there as well.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '07 650R and have a buzz from the key/ignition area around 4300 RPM (sounds like a wasp in an empty soda can, but LOUDER.)

It's definitely from that area. I took all fairings, gauges, headlight, and everything else off. Revved the bike to the RPM range and it still buzzed. Putting my ear next to the key/ignition module diagnosed it as the definite problem.

I tried cut tubing on the key, using just the key with no ring, and any other solution I can find. Nothing stopped the buzz. It's annoying, but I just live with it. At least I know by ear when the bike is passing 4300 RPMs!

So, from experience, I can say that if the buzz is from the key/ignition, it's there to stay. A little grease may help temporarily, but it will probably be back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts