Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 zx6r. when accelerating at about 9k rpm a loud buzzing starts. i'll hold at that rpm and just cruise it stops, then when i hit the throttle is starts as if some is pushing up against something when the forces of the acceleration come into play. definietly sounds like something pushing up against something. anybody else have this problem.

·
Registered
810 Posts
does it sound like a fluttering zippy noise? I get that shit too and it drives me NUTS. Someone suggested the clutch lever buzzing around but I still can't locate the noise. It does happen around that 9k range too....Your guess is as good as mine, but seriously lately my bike is so obnoxiously buzzy that I might get plugs [xx(]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same hear I was told the clutch lever but its not, I have changed the levers. Come to find out it was the key whole. The little metal flap that the key goes through is vibrating on the key which makes the buzzing noise. I had the dealer replace it after some arguing and now i no longer have the buzz noise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, cause it sounds like its coming from the center area, so that might be it. so they replaced it through the warranty?

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have the same problem.. i dont think its the key hole..cuz.. one i shift up... the noise goes away

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it does it in every gear in the 9-10k rpm due to the frequency of engine buzz and vibrations. so below its not doing in,and above 9-10k its not doing it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Same problem here, and I thought it wasn't the clutch lever. After checking it out better I found it was the clutch lever that was vibrating.

When it does it take a couple fingers and push downward on the lever(not pulling the clutch lever in), and see if that stops the noise. If it does then take the lever off (there's a nut on the bottomside), and then coat the sleeve and bolt with some thick grease. Then put it back together. I did this and my noise is gone completely. I don't know how long that it will last, but so far it's been good for about 1000 miles.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That whole key-hole thing really makes sense. it does sound like it could make that noise. i'll try all your remedies to fix mine....i've been totally anal recently, like hearing strange unreal noises from the headers etc. ruining my ride lol :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have to tell you guys, it IS the clutch lever. I have the same thing happening and several times I've done the same experiment and gotten the same results. I get the time to about 9-10K and wait till the buzzing starts. Then, while it is buzzing, I just put my two fingers on the clutch lever (I just rest them on the lever) and the buzzing stops. When I remove my fingers, the buzzing starts. Soap, rinse, repeat...

I am absolutely convinced it is the clutch lever but I thought there was something loose. I did not know that there were so many people with the same problem.

·
Registered
509 Posts
happens on mine too, and i will admit there are a million threads on this subject that have been posted since the 05 model was released. There really should be a sticky made about this topic, and someone should take a camera and make a nice how to write up with some pictures or something.. otherwise i'm gonna go fiddeling around one afternoon and make one my self..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found out it wasn't the clutch, because i would push down on it and it still did it. If you want to check and see if your problem is the key hole, then when you hear the buzzing put grab the key and put pressure down and forward on the key and see if it goes away, mine did, and when they replaced it under warrenty no more noise.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by adam1
i have a 2006 zx6r. when accelerating at about 9k rpm a loud buzzing starts. i'll hold at that rpm and just cruise it stops, then when i hit the throttle is starts as if some is pushing up against something when the forces of the acceleration come into play. definietly sounds like something pushing up against something. anybody else have this problem.
Dude, I noticed the same exact thing after riding yesterday. Honestly, I haven't ridden the bike much, but I got on it yesterday on the Toll Road and I immediately noticed the buzzing sound at exactly 9k RPM. I was going to ask somebody on the forum about it but I saw this thread, and I'm assuming it's normal if I'm not the only guy experiencing the noise. BTW: Did you do the jumper mod?

·
Registered
16 Posts
ys it's deffinately the clutch leaver, i just tested this out on my '06 zx6r and as soon as i hit 9k revs i got the same buzzing sound!

have there been any advances on how to fix this bar the thick grease method posted above?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Other than replacing the levers I haven't seen anything else mentioned.

I will say that putting grease inside the pivot sleeve is very easy. I used a red colored wheel bearing grease when I did it, and it doesn't make the buzzing sound anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what we need is a sticky of top/most popular mods for the zx6r, stick this and the wire mod in there.

saying that i don't need the wire mod, my machine being a stock european version };p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well you guys were right, i rode to work today and when the buzzing started i just pushed down on the shif lever and it stops, lift up starts again, push down goes away. Its definitely the shift lever.

·
Registered
247 Posts
it is NOT the clutch lever! Well not on my bike, i found that the two black covers on eather side of the ram air are just touching the actual main fairing, at high rpm they vibrate aganst oneanother and buzzz i found this by looking around for the noise then i notice a lil bit of what looked like white powder on the corner where the two plastics meet. the actually are wearing each other down(not a lot mind you very very litle but enough to make a buzzing noise) Might not be your buzz but it was mine!! [8D]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by jarkid27
it is NOT the clutch lever! Well not on my bike, i found that the two black covers on eather side of the ram air are just touching the actual main fairing, at high rpm they vibrate aganst oneanother and buzzz i found this by looking around for the noise then i notice a lil bit of what looked like white powder on the corner where the two plastics meet. the actually are wearing each other down(not a lot mind you very very litle but enough to make a buzzing noise) Might not be your buzz but it was mine!! [8D]
It's funny that you mention that, because I ran into the same problem when I was trying to find where the noise was coming from. I guess mine had the clutch lever issue & the fairing covers buzzing too. :D

For the black covers I put a very thin strip of weather stripping along the inside of each fairing right where the black panels touch. That seemed to eliminate the noise & kept them from rubbing on each other.

Now that I remember in all of this searching around I also noticed that the main wiring coming from the back of the speedometer/instrument panel was rubbing on a fairly sharp edge of the right-side black plastic cover. I dremeled out a half circle right where they meet to keep it from cutting through the wires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.