Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started noticing this in my last ride, but it was more noticeable today. On my 09 ninja 250r, it starts buzzing/rattling around 5700rpm. Its more prevalent in lower gears than higher. I also hear/feel it in the shifter when I upshift, again, more so in lower gears. It doesnot do thiswhen thebike is sitting in neutral and revved up. Bike has about 2800 milesand I just had it serviced afterbuying it with 1900, and they didn't find any problems with it.

EDIT: btw, the rattle sounds like it's up front, and possibly moreso on the left.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a missing bolt under the windscreen, so i don't know if that could be the problem.

Part of my concern is that the bike doesn't seem to hit the gears right sometimes. I'll slip into neutral from first when getting to second. Yesterday coming onto an on ramp, I tried to bust it open, and I shifted from first to second, accelerated in second, and then it slipped out of second and back into neutral.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You have the same two issues I had with my 09' Ninja 250 with 16K miles.
There are two different problems, here are both solutions:
-First problem (buzzing/rattling): You need to look into your cam chain tensioner (CCT), here is a guide to dissasemble it (DIY: Cam Chain tensioner rebuild - Kawasaki Ninja Forum). I've replaced the original pad spring with a stronger one because I found it very worn down in it stiffness. The bike rattles when you're in movement because everything in the engine is connected to the wheel, therefore, when you desacelerate, the camshaft chain "rattle" with the chain guide due the soft CCT spring tension.

- Second problem (shifting), again, this is a spring tension issue. This is an easy fix, you need to find the 14mm shift drum positioning bolt (circled in red) :
For you to get an idea, the hole circled in blue is the crankcase vent

This spring is the little bastard that make the shift drum to slip from 2nd to N when you upshift. I've changed it with an stronger one also from my local hardware store.
You don't even need to remove your fairings to do this.
I've never had issues with that again, altough that I'm shifting a little more precisely (meaning that I ensure that the 2nd gear is fully engaged) than before.

my 5 cents, let me know if helped. cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Buzzing was from a missing bolt on a fairing, replaced it and problem fixed.

On the shifting note: I haven't changed the spring yet. I stopped by a repair shop, and he said the spring seemed to have plenty of tension. He said to try changing the oil, and if that doesn't help, he thinks it may be caused by bent shifting forks. I've started noticing sometimes I also am going from 3rd to 4th, and it doesn't fully engage gears. If it's a fork, that would suck, cause he estimated total cost of about $700, and my bike would be in the shop for two weeks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Missing fairing bolt - great that it was an easy fix.

Shifting - sounds like you might just need to use a more positive shift action with your foot. Intentionally do it until it become second nature

1 - 6 of 6 Posts