Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me stupid but i can't seem to understand the difference between a M1 and the M2 licence. I read the handbook and from what I could understand is that the M2 is for mopeds and M1 for the rest. Am I right of wrong?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
M1 is everything (well, not cars etc. but motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, unicycles, etc.). M2 is for motor driven cycles only. That is my understanding. If you take the regular riding test or take the MSF course you'll come away with a class M1 and you're good to go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks That's what I thought. Years ago someone told me that M1 is for bikes with 1000ccs and over and M2 was for for everything under 1000ccs.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I was going to get my M2 license in Iowa years ago and they used to do a CC restriction. M2 was MORE meant for scooters and the CC restriction was more like 80cc. It's tailored to people who are riding the scooters around town (and NOT on the freeway).

In California (I looked) it states it must be 149cc or less, and may not be operated on freeways. It also says it can not excuses 45 MPH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts